Please Identify This Cichlid...

PDX

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two of these fish in my tank which i bought from e-bay and the owners didn't know what they were either...

I presume there a cichlid of some type due to there body shape etc.

Sorry for the poor quality photo, there is some detail you can't quite see on the picture which might be helpful such as

1. The fins have a line on the eges which is a bluey colour.
2. On the tail fins the fish have small spines coming from where the joins are in the tail.

I also forgot to mention the fish can change colour dependant upon his mood, he turns a much lighter shade of his current colour and show distinct markings in a uniform pattern...

Attachments

• DSC00286.JPG
    DSC00286.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 18
It looks a bit like a Comb-tailed paradise fish which is a member of the Labyrinth Family.
It is Belontia signata - the combtail paradise fish & my all time favorites. Although an anabantid it behaves more like most cichlids. I had one for 20 years - she finished up at 7.5 inches long & would attack any new fish put in the tank but would happily live with small fish as long as they were in the tank first.
If you don't want them I'll buy them off you or swap something for them.
Sue

It looks a bit like a Comb-tailed paradise fish which is a member of the Labyrinth Family.
It is Belontia signata - the combtail paradise fish & my all time favorites. Although an anabantid it behaves more like most cichlids. I had one for 20 years - she finished up at 7.5 inches long & would attack any new fish put in the tank but would happily live with small fish as long as they were in the tank first.
If you don't want them I'll buy them off you or swap something for them.
Sue

I think i have a male and female but the male has made an enemy of a smaller fish which i also don't know it's name... the smaller fish is the main aggressor though!

I think i have a male and female but the male has made an enemy of a smaller fish which i also don't know it's name... the smaller fish is the main aggressor though!
[/quote]

Got a picture of the smaller fish?
How big is the tank?

Most reactions

Back