Please Help

fwishy

Reaction score
hello every one..let me start off with saying...im looking for help..not comments...no rude comments wanted please!! im begging you..
now to the question..

:oh: i had a goldfish..for about a month or two..i thought he needed a friend..so we went to the hidden reef where we were told specific breeds of fish we can house with our goldie named jeri.. we were told specific breeds of mollies..tetras etc..the dalmatian Mollie caught our eye and we brought one home yesterday..today i see pecking..very little..but i do..i think my goldie is male..my mollie is female..telling you this for if it helps...how can i calm him down??is this aggression?? should i get another mollie or should i get live food..b/c my mollie..(named molly) also pecks at the live plant i have i there..that moves..im thinking maybe live food that moves..like maybe crickets..idk will attract her instead of my poor jeri.. plz help asap!! thx!! :crazy: :no: :unsure: im not looking to rehome or take my back my molly but i will if; needed; get another tank for her if that is really needed.. pics arent of MY fishes

Attachments

• Dalmation_Molly.jpg
    Dalmation_Molly.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 30
  • CommonGoldfishWFG_Cn0892.jpg
    CommonGoldfishWFG_Cn0892.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 28
Mollys are tropical and goldfish are coldwater they should not be together to be honest is the tank heated and filtered at all? i would either return the molly or get a seperate tank a filter a heater. If you do get another tank and put the molly in it you would be doing a fish in cycle search the forum for info on that. Also what size tank are they currently in goldfish grow in excess of 15cm.

good luck

Mollys are tropical and goldfish are coldwater they should not be together to be honest is the tank heated and filtered at all? i would either return the molly or get a seperate tank a filter a heater. If you do get another tank and put the molly in it you would be doing a fish in cycle search the forum for info on that. Also what size tank are they currently in goldfish grow in excess of 15cm.

good luck
i know they are different but i was told they can be housed together..i have a filter and am soon getting a heater..my goldie is used to warmish water..like 75 80 degrees b/c that is wat he grew up in..my molly seems fine in it also..thx for your answer but you didnt answer my '?'..and they are in a 120g

You were told by a LFS im guessing? Unfortunatly LFS are busineses if they told the truth 100% of the time they would not be a very good business. I believe i did answer your question in that they should not be together in the first place. How big is the goldfish they are greedy and if the molly is small enough he proberly sees the molly as lunch.

as walkers said the 2 shouldnt be kept together as 1 is coldwater and 1 is tropical. the lfs has informed you wrong. i wouldnt add a heater to the goldfish tank as it wont like it due to the fact its a COLD water species. the molly will need a heated tank so you have a few choices
1 - return the molly stating that its not suited for a coldwater set up
2 - set up another tank just for a molly, you can use media from the goldfish filter to speed up the cycle as a single molly wont need much mature media.
3 - keep them together and let the molly suffer in cold water
4 - add a heater and keep them together and watch the goldfish suffer

the molly is pecking at the plant as they can/will eat small amounts of algae.

You were told by a LFS im guessing? Unfortunatly LFS are busineses if they told the truth 100% of the time they would not be a very good business. I believe i did answer your question in that they should not be together in the first place. How big is the goldfish they are greedy and if the molly is small enough he proberly sees the molly as lunch.
the molly is bigger then the goldie rite now.. and sry but what is lfs?? hehe..

LFS = local fish shop :good:

still even on tank size the 2 species are not compatable due to 1 being cold water and the other being tropical

Firslty - 120 gallons is a brilliant tank for goldfish :good:

Secondly - mollies and goldfish should not be kept together. If the shop was recommending fish like mollies and tetras I have serious questions about they competency to sell live animals! Due to the metabolism, needs and behaviour of goldfish the only fish I would house with goldfish are other goldfish. Other fish don't tend to thrive long term, although I'll admit that for every rule there are exceptions.

Thirdly - pecking at the plant is natural for both species of fish as they are herbivores and like plant/vegetable matter. Feeding live food is OK from time to time but the best thing for both is to use a good quality herbivore flake/pellet and mix that in with some cooked, deshelled peas and plants.

Finally - I would rehome your molly or set up a seperate tank (20 gallons is great for mollies). Get another couple of goldfish for the 120 gallon tank to give your goldfish come company. They are very social fish. Do not get fancy goldfish (the ones with the compact bodies) as they are often bullied by commons. I would get maybe a shubunkin and a comet to go with your common. If the fish get really big (over 15" or so) they may need to be rehomed to a pond but your 120G is certainly a great tank for them.

Most reactions

Back