Please Help

Wasn't having a go at you hun, it just annoys me when people think its ok to freeze them.

Its nice to know he is got a lil more active. Do keep us updated wont you

oh btw huni, the post above urs about the freezing thing, if it comes to it, dont do that, thats a cruel way to euthanize a betta

good luck xx

also,, anothe way to humanily do a fish in if to get a fairly deep bowl of water,, put it in the freezer till it gets a crust of ice you have to poke a hole in,,,poke the hole in the freezing cold water and put him in,, it will instantly be gone with out a wait,, and sorry but i doubt a vet would even bother with a fish :(

Why do you say this, its utter crap!

its not instant at all and your fish is in a massive amount of pain and shock before he does go...get it right before youtell others to do it

READ THIS!

I AM SORRY I ASKED MY SMALL ANIMAL VET ABOUT IT AND THAT IS WHAT HE SAID... I HAVE NEVER HAD TO KILL A ANIMAL AND I DIDNT KNOW, DONT JUMP ALL OVER MY ASS CAUSE I WAS TOLD BY A PROFESSIONAL AND YOU SAYS IT WRONG........EVERY ONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINON AMD I WAS ONLY TRYING TO HELP!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Honestly, I think that looks like Ascites. Ascites is caused by (hepatic) portal hypertension-- non-properly functioning liver...causes a back up in the system which makes fluids leak into the peritoneum. Something has to cause the liver to fail to have this...cancer, hep c, and over feeding of processed food that the liver can't process ,etc. to make the liver go bad.

If I were you, I'd stop feeding him the processed foods and give him some daphnia and deshelled peas, and start some epsom salt baths. I'd also treat with nitrofurazone. Good luck. I can't honestly say that the outcome looks good for this little fella. :|

And to add about the freezing water... euthanasia is always a hot topic, but let's not get so heated about it! :)

There's a lot of debate about this. Devon_charm, I don't believe she meant to freeze the betta, but rather to put it in freezing water. This kind of method is used to throw the fish into extreme shock, which basically causes the internal organs to shut down and fail, leading to death. Some people think that it's a humane method, and some don't. Right out freezing a fish is NOT a humane method, as it takes time for the fish to gradually get cold enough to die, and it is very painful for the fish. That's my knowledge on the matter. If I had to do it, I'd probably go the clove oil route. I'd rather them just go to sleep.

Well, I walked in to check on him this morning and he had passed on. It was a fun year with him, he went out well, flaring and very active until the end. I really appreciate all the help and advice I got here. Learned alot. Looking forward to my next one. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back