Please Help Sex My Fish And Is It Sick Or Preggers

hannakournikova

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Bought 2 rams a while back. I was under the impression they where bolivian rams, but have since discovered they are blue german rams!? correct??

Anyway, lately one has become quite bloated. I dont seen it feeding like the other fish, which all seem fine and dandy inc the other ram.
When the lights are on it will swin at a 45' angle at the top of the tank - as if it was feeding- but not eating.

Ok here are the pics:

Questionable sick/pregnant fish
image.jpg

other normal fish
image-1.jpg

both together (a little out of focus) to show variation in size
image-2.jpg

Looks like two male blue rams. One definitely has a problem, what do you feed? What is the set-up? When did you buy them? Did you quarantine them?

Looks like two male blue rams. One definitely has a problem, what do you feed? What is the set-up? When did you buy them? Did you quarantine them?

Kitty - feed a mixture of flake, bloodworms and pellet occasionaly.
Its a 90l tank - 2 rams 2 gouramis, 3 platys, 2 mollies, 4 penguin tetra 3 minnows and shrimp.

Tank has been on the go for about 4 months, rams are in about a month. Using an external filter and 25'c

thanks

How often blood worms? How often other foods? Do they get anything vegetable based in their diet (pellets or flakes, maybe)?

Look for signs of worms and then let us know if you can see any.

blood worm maybe once every 7-10 days, will check the pellets and flake - but from memory its just your generic tropical fish food.

is it worth putting him in a net and put a boiled/skinned pea in?

and when you say signs of worms - can you elaborate a little bit?

No, that would stress him.

Worms are internal parasites, there are many different types, all of which have different symptoms: a search engine is your friend here. The most common visible indication of worms is small, stringy creatures dangling out of the fish's anus. To be honest, the problem does look and sound more like constipation. Try not feeding for 2-3 days and see if there is any improvement, after that, feed some peas.

No, that would stress him.

Worms are internal parasites, there are many different types, all of which have different symptoms: a search engine is your friend here. The most common visible indication of worms is small, stringy creatures dangling out of the fish's anus. To be honest, the problem does look and sound more like constipation. Try not feeding for 2-3 days and see if there is any improvement, after that, feed some peas.

kitty, funny you mention worms, i noticed something hanging out of his bum this morning. The only way o can describe is the equiv of a sausage skin without the meat middle. horrible analogy :unsure:

Definitly both males. I would say the fatter one is a ballon ram not that it has a problem so wouldnt think theres much to worry about.

kitty, funny you mention worms, i noticed something hanging out of his bum this morning. The only way o can describe is the equiv of a sausage skin without the meat middle. horrible analogy :unsure:
White thing? That's just stringy poo, they get that when constipated.

If he was a balloon variant, he would have always been that shape.

will keep an eye on him. the lights are off in the tank now, and he is down chilling out on the bottom beside a rock.

i dont know the fishy term for them opening and closing their mouth, but he is doing it much quicker than the rest.

Most reactions

Back