Please Help My Mollie

blazinloud

Reaction score
Today I noticed my mollie has a strange white spot on its side. Is this anything serious?

Would that happen if it was pregnant? because I either got a fat fish.....or a knocked up one.

The spot isnt huge....but it isnt small, maybe 1 10th of the body.......if that helps.

thanks for any help.

Adam

Neeed more info i'm afraid.
How many gallons or litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and ph.
The spot is it fluffy, or does the spot have a circling or ting of red on the outside of it, or a spot in the centre of it.

10 gallon tank, no heater.

1 male betta
1 red flame gourami
1 american dwarf frog
1 Mollie

ammonia is at 0.1mg/L

and unfortunatly the rest I dont have the test kits for

and the spot is white but then i can see what looks like orange scales in the dot, and then a small red blotch on the bottom right of the spot.

the spot is right under the fin on its back

are my other fish in danger......the only other tank i have is a small plastic one with no pump

Well Im really concerned for my fish right now so I did what I could and took some rather low quality pics just incase it helped. I hope they work.......

mollie2.jpg

Mollie.jpg

the 1st pick is pretty blurry because I had to the zoom on my camera phone. It was a little hard to get the pics too because its usually sitting at the bottom now hiding behind a plant :unsure:

It shoudnt feel threatend, I watched as my Mollie and my betta went nose to nose, and my betta didnt even flare up. Sure the betta might give a chase here and there, but nothing too physical. And the gourami is very friendly, and kinda dumb :blink:

No fighting, but my betta also seems to stay in one corner, as the gourami and the frog seem free to roam :/

The spot looks like and sounds like columnaris, which is a bacterial infection. It can be contagious, and also lethal. Your best bet is with antibiotics. Where are you from? Different meds are avaliable in different countries.

Also, you NEED To find out your nitrite levels. The fact that you have an ammonia reading is a bad sign, as it is toxic to fish, and should be zero in a well established tank. Begin doing daily water changes until the ammonia and the nitrite are both at zero.

Like tttnjftt said, the ammonia has to be at 0. Daily partial water changes will help with that. Keep a close eye on the rest of your fish for signs of stress.

Definatle nasty looking. Set up a hospital as soon as you can to treat with antibiotics.

Im in saskatchewan canada. Is it already too late for the other fish? I just got the mollie 2 days ago, can it be infected that fast after me getting it?

should I put the mollie in the tank with no pump/filter?

Also my tank isnt a week old yet, new water...............?

Your tank is cycling. I recommend reading the articles on cycling a tank. I believe the ammonia, and the stress could definately make the molly sick. It's really crucial to start those water changes, or your other fish could be heading down the same path.

There's a pinned article about hospital tanks that should help, but the hospital tank will need a filter. You'll also have to do frequent water changes on this tank as well.

So is it already too late for the others? are they already infected. nothing visually wrong with them......

I would rather have 1 dead mollie than a whole tank of dead fish......should i take her back to the lps?

So is it already too late for the others? are they already infected. nothing visually wrong with them......

I would rather have 1 dead mollie than a whole tank of dead fish......should i take her back to the lps?

Can you take a diseased fish back? What would they do with it? If you take it back and didn't tell them, they would put it back in and infect all the others. As I learned from this forum, you have to cycle the tank without fish first. My tank has been cycling for 4 weeks now and I hope to add fish soon. I too like bettas, but won't be getting one as everyone told me I cannot keep one in a community tank.

You will almost always have some sort of "bad" pathogens in the tank. Healthy, stress-free fish do not become suseptible to them. Fish in bad water conditions (i.e. a cycling tank, overstocked tank), or in an unsuitable tank (i.e. too small, incompatable tankmates) will become stressed, and therefor become suseptable to those pathogens. It just like with humans....we are always around germs, viruses, etc, but we are more likely to become sick when our immune system is not up to par (for example, under lots of stress). So, like I said before, get the fish that is showing obvious signs of infection in a hospital tank, and start doing partial water changes on both tanks.

Another option is taking all of this livestock back, and waiting for this tank to cycle.

Fish died.

Took dead fish and water sample to the petstore (petland, free water checks) experienced fish employee said it was internal parasites.......

Got a bottle of 'cycle' and a bottle of medication, Melafix. antibacterial.

he checked my water and my ammonia was very close to 0, and ph was slightly high, he said it was ok, but i still bought the cycle.

I also bought a piece of natural drift wood, according to him it will help out with the ph........oh, and it looks nice.

Really sorry to hear about the fish. How are the other ones doing?

I've heard cycle doesn't help...sorry. I believe it's dead bacteria in there, which won't do any good. There is no substitute for water changes.

Internal parasites? I really doubt that. In my experience, most chain store employees don't know a guppy from a barracuda. Don't treat the other fish unless they show symptoms.

Most reactions

Back