Please Help - My Guppies keep dying

Awesome, TY! Would it be okay to give you some feedback/advice about your tank?

The albino cory (are they both the same?) looks like corydoras aeneus to me, @DoubleDutch would you mind double checking that for me please? :D

Also curious! What's in the tank on the left of the big one? :)
Absolutely any advice is welcomed! I'm still kind of new to this, but I'm throwing a lot of money out the window trying things that don't seem to work. I have a bunch of other fake plants, decorations, and a large piece of driftwood. I at least plan on putting the driftwood back in.

The other tank is a smaller tank is one that was bought to separate the platy and danio when I thought they were the problem. It's only a 5 gallon (My 4 year old picked it out - hence the vibrant colors. I've contemplated changing out the substrate to match the main tank, but it's well established so I hate to mess with it too much)

Last edited:
Absolutely any advice is welcomed! I'm still kind of new to this, but I'm throwing a lot of money out the window trying things that don't seem to work. I have a bunch of other fake plants, decorations, and a large piece of driftwood. I at least plan on putting the driftwood back in.

The other tank is a smaller tank is one that was bought to separate the platy and danio when I thought they were the problem. It's only a 5 gallon
I plan on keeping the small tank around as a hospital or quarantine tank

Yah, definitely dont get the expensive ones yet... Even if you "think" you've solved the problem, wait a week or so to make sure...

That's really sad :( I've gotten them for Petco primarily, but there is a mom and pop pet store a few towns over I like. I just hat buying fish from there because it's a 40 minute drive back home and I don't want to stress them out with that long of a drive. If they're better quality fish though, it might be worth the risk.
"I've gotten them (from) Petco primarily"

If your water suits them (moderately hard), I'm betting that's your problem, right there

Even in softer water, they should be living longer than they have

I plan on keeping the small tank around as a hospital or quarantine tank
I was going to say that the five gallon will make a perfect quarantine tank!

Or a nursery, since you have female guppies... just a warning, guppies are also known as "millionfish" for good reason! I've been trying to stop breeding them for months now, thought I'd sold all of my viable females and fry, and yet another huge batch of fry has recently appeared...

So it may turn out to be a useful nursery/grow out tank for you! Always handy to have a spare tank in any case.

How would you feel about adding more live plants? I noticed you have a couple already, that's good! Those ones you have will grow better if you remove them from the pot. Just loosten the plastic pot, then gently peel away the rockwall (the beige, fluffy stuff all around the roots) in small strips, gently, trying not to damage the roots too much. That rockwall is just a growing medium, but it also kinda restricts the roots from really spreading out and letting the plant establish itself. Once you've freed the roots, can replant the plants directly in the gravel.

Depending on which plants you have, they'd benefit from either root tab fertilisers, or a liquid fertiliser added to the tank now and then. (some plants get most of their nutrition from the roots, others from the water column).

Floating plants are one of the best you can get. Fish are very vulnerable to predators, both birds and other animals from above the water, and predators below. So a big open space and having nowhere to hide is very stressful for them. Lots of live plants improve your water quality, since they take up the ammonia the fish produce, and make the fish feel much more comfortable. They interact with live plants in a way they just don't with fake ones. Floating plants are easy to grow, don't need any special care, are one of the best for sucking up ammonia, and make fish feel a lot safer from overhead predation. They help shield fish from bright tank lights too, since most are used to much dimmer lighting in their natural habitats.

If the plan is to breed the guppies, fry also tend to head to the surface, and they're safer from hungry adults if they have some floating plants to hide in :)

Nothing wrong with keeping the fake ones too, if you like them! As long as they're not a sharp, hard plastic, they shouldn't harm your fish. Can always kit it out with the fake decorations, then gradually add some more live plants as and when you find ones you like. :)

Edited because I do know the difference between their/they're/there.

"I've gotten them (from) Petco primarily"

If your water suits them (moderately hard), I'm betting that's your problem, right there

Even in softer water, they should be living longer than they have
Maybe so :( I wish we had a reputable breeder nearby. I have yet to find one.

Maybe so :( I wish we had a reputable breeder nearby. I have yet to find one.

Have a look for local tropical fish hobby groups in your area. Facebook can useful for connecting with other local hobbyists. Once people have guppies, they're often desperate to find homes for all the fry they produce! And those fry, having been bred in your local water, are more likely to be hardy and survive in your water parameters.

But best to find out your GH first, since if it is softer water, other fish might be more suited.

Its more expensive because of shipping but have you looked online?
I have, but I still have no way of knowing if the ones online are reputable. Do you have any suggestions for good websites? I've just been too nervous to go through with an order. Plus, the shipping from who knows where kind of worries me.

I have, but I still have no way of knowing if the ones online are reputable. Do you have any suggestions for good websites? I've just been too nervous to go through with an order. Plus, the shipping from who knows where kind of worries me.
I have fish shipped to me often...no big deal, but pricey (the shipping)

I think you'd be fine with the 40 minute drive to the LFS near you, bagged fish are just fine in that amount of time...with proper temp, out of sunlight, as described by @AdoraBelle Dearheart above

I have fish shipped to me often...no big deal, but pricey (the shipping)

I think you'd be fine with the 40 minute drive to the LFS near you, bagged fish are just fine in that amount of time...with proper temp, out of sunlight, as described by @AdoraBelle Dearheart above

I used to be so scared of fish being in a bag too long too!

It's good practice to get them home as soon as you can, of course, but they're also okay in the bags for longer than people think! A couple of hours is usually fine! Have a look at how fish are shipped, spending days in bags like that - and while those sent from warehouses are usually filled with more oxygen, and not much water, private sellers also ship fish that stay bagged for a few days. So your 40 minute drive home really is okay! :)

Maintaining a reasonable temp is the main thing. They'd cook if left in the boot of a hot car, but a insulated cooler can keep them warm or cool, depending on what you need. In cooler British weather I bring bubble wrap when I go to the store for fish, wrap the bags in bubble wrap then several layers of bags to trap heat, and a paper bag on the outside to keep it dark and reduce stress.

For even longer trips, like moving house, open tubs with mini USB heaters and airstones mean you can transport fish for days, with water changes as needed.

ETA: You could call the mom and pop store and ask about where they get their guppies, if they ever take in youngsters from hobbyists. Then can plan a trip for when they have some in, if they do. Also useful to find out whether they'd be willing to take batches of youngsters from you when they're old enough... I only kept guppies as long as I did because my local fish store was willing to take the hundreds of offspring off my hands once they were 3-4 months old and could be sold!

I used to be so scared of fish being in a bag too long too!

It's good practice to get them home as soon as you can, of course, but they're also okay in the bags for longer than people think! A couple of hours is usually fine! Have a look at how fish are shipped, spending days in bags like that - and while those sent from warehouses are usually filled with more oxygen, and not much water, private sellers also ship fish that stay bagged for a few days. So your 40 minute drive home really is okay! :)

Maintaining a reasonable temp is the main thing. They'd cook if left in the boot of a hot car, but a insulated cooler can keep them warm or cool, depending on what you need. In cooler British weather I bring bubble wrap when I go to the store for fish, wrap the bags in bubble wrap then several layers of bags to trap heat, and a paper bag on the outside to keep it dark and reduce stress.

For even longer trips, like moving house, open tubs with mini USB heaters and airstones mean you can transport fish for days, with water changes as needed.

ETA: You could call the mom and pop store and ask about where they get their guppies, if they ever take in youngsters from hobbyists. Then can plan a trip for when they have some in, if they do. Also useful to find out whether they'd be willing to take batches of youngsters from you when they're old enough... I only kept guppies as long as I did because my local fish store was willing to take the hundreds of offspring off my hands once they were 3-4 months old and could be sold!
I never knew that lol... Otherwise I would have done some of those things mentioned for my betta.

Most reactions

Back