Please Help Me Investigate The Death Of My Fish And Prevent Another Fr

trazil

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have bought 1 Siamese fighter, and three Guppies. I initially had 1 Guppy and 3 Neon tetra's.

When I brought the new fish everything was fine. Eating, movement etc. For my surprise on the next day I woke up
to find that one of the new Guppies is dead. I thought that maybe she wasn't able to adapt to the environment and it was a female as well.
However I have changed and treated the water the same morning. I changed about 50% of it. The next morning I woke up and when I checked the condition
of the tank my very old male Guppy was dead; I had it for 6 months and there weren't any problems with it.

I don't know what to do because the Siamese fighter is dead as well.

I took a photo of the new guppy so maybe you can spot a problem with it. Maybe i should not have got new fish from that place.

The tank is about 30l., i got heater, maintaining 27C (working 24h/7, air pump (working during the night) and internal filter (working 24h/7)

Please I am happy to consider any advices.

Thank you very much.

Photos:

IMG00477-20110527-2112.jpg

IMG00476-20110527-2112.jpg

Right well i can see fin rot or extreme fighting, which may have been from the Betta nipping at the guppy's long colourful tail.

Guppies should never bee kept with Bettas because the betta sees the guppy as a threat.

It also has red spots which I assume are scratches or wounds?

Hi Fishaholic,

I see your point however I cannot explain why would the Betta die too? Maybe now that the Betta is gone too I should not have any problems I hope.

As you said that Betta's should not be kept with Guppies this means that the guy from the Pet Shop does not know his job. He only mentioned not to keep TWO Betta's in 1 fish tank and he sold the Guppy as well.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

There is quite a few pet shops that dont care much, as long as they get a sale and get some £££ off you they are happy. It's quite sad, but that how some places are.

I'd say fin rot there. The mouth doesn't look too good either, not sure what the red spot is, I'd guess a wound.

Did you cycle your tank? I see you new that's only why I asked... dont take offence :rolleyes:

And welcome to the forums! :good:

It's quite common for people in fish shops to give out terrible advice; we see it here near enough every day.

I'd sugget you invest in a test kit (not the paper strips; they're notoriously inaccurate) so you can monitor yourself what is going on with your water. It may seem very expensive, but is an invaluable tool for all fishkeepers and will last a long, long time.

How are you cleaning out the filter? And how often do you do a water change? I ask as 99% of fishy problems can be traced back to a problem wih water quality.

That's not my name :D my name is hanny93, fishaholic is sort of the level im at haha,

The Betta might have died from stress, or the new additions could have put too much of a strain on your filter and you could have had an ammonia spike, or it could have had internal parasites, unless you can describe what it looked like when you found it i cant shed any light on that.

And yes, you've become a victim of sales technique. A lot of staff in lfs don't know enough about fish to be selling them, it is a common problem with new members on this site who have bought tiny tanks, 'filter start' type treatments and non compatible fish.

Male bettas should only be kept ONE per tank anyway, and yes the guppies are generally attacked a lot because of their colourful tails, the Betta mistakes the guppy for anothe rmale betta and fights to defend his territory.

I know that the test kit is what I am really missing from and it seems that I have come to the conclusion that I must get one.

I just browsed this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

Thanks a lot for your considerations.

Regards,

That's the test kit most of us use and recommend. To be fair, it's not the most accurate on the market; I think Salifert would be that, but it's good enough for the average freshwater hobbyist purposes.

Most reactions

Back