Please Help! Fish Species?

PiscesFish

Reaction score
Ok so I just went for a swim and found this really unusual fish getting dumped by repetative waves. It stood out heaps considering it is a really clear water with barely any fish. The only fish on this beach are whiting and its not one of them. It is silver (whiteish) and it has blue on the top half of its body, it is shaped kinda like a goldfish except for the most recocnisable fins. They are nearly always flared and it looks kinda like a 'butterfly'. It is also quite small probably only about 5cm long. If anyone knows anything about what species this fish is please reply and share as much information as you can.

Here are some pictures but I will be back soon to see the replies as we have a dive centre next door and I'm wondering if they will be any help.

Top View.
046.jpg

Side(ish) View.
048.jpg

Im sorry that they are so blury I dont know what setting to put it on to take pictures of fish.

It.. it almost looks like flying fish to me. I am probably wrong, but... Hm. Well, that's my wild guess.

Thank you for your suggestion, but are there such things as blue flying fish?

Thank you for your suggestion, but are there such things as blue flying fish?

:hi: to TFF PiscesFish

I googled blue flying fish and it came up with a few images.

What do you intend doing with it? And, you do have a powerhead in that tank don't you?

Where in the world are you? and do you have a sea life center or the like close to you, maybe they could help?

Sorry for so many questions, it just looks like a fasinating little fish

Seffie x

it looks to me like a juvinile flying fish

http://www.imagequest3d.com/pages/current/pictureoftheweek/flyingfish/Flying%20Fish.jpg

Not a flying fish but looks like it is either in the needlefish, flathead or scorpionfish group. If you can take a clearer picture including the fin structure it would help. Check also gurnards.

SH

Most reactions

Back