Please Help Diagnose My Guppies

Nastenka

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had my tank since the beginning of November 2009. It's a 63 litre tank with a mixed community. Everything has generally been going well. However, for some time now my male guppies (I have four) have had rips and tears in their tails. At first I thought this was fin rot and treated them with Interpet's Anti Fungus and Finrot (Number 8) as recommended by my LFS. This didn't seem to make any difference, however. I then let it be for a while as it didn't get any worse, as far as I could tell. However, I can now see that two of the male guppies in particular have quite jagged edges around their tail fins. The others have rips and tears, rather than jaggedness. Here are a couple of pictures:

SDC16898.JPG

SDC16907.JPG

Please excuse the bad quality. It's really hard to capture them! I'm treating them with Interpet's Anti Fungus and Finrotn (Number 8) at the moment again (since Monday) as the LFS insisted, but I'm not sure this is the right thing to do so I would absolutely love some advice to get my guppies better.

The LFS suggested that the rips are due to othe fish attacking etc (though I've never noticed behaviour like that). I haven't noticed any unsual behaviour. I do regular (one a week) 15% water changes and test the water both at home and occasionally at the LFS - there appear to be no problems. I have an aeration stone, which is on constantly during the period of medication.

Please let me know whether you need any more information. Thank you very very much for your help!

what fish do the share the tank with
whats your stats

I have 15 fish in my tank (which works with the 1 inch of fish per US gallon rule). When I first got them I didn't know about best mixes etc, so perhaps it's not the best thought out. But I have: 4 male guppies, 1 female guppy (I know this is terrible, but it worked out that way after previous females guppies giving birth and then dying (fungus infections, I think), 3 catfish (cories), 2 cherry barbs (one of which likes to pester the other fish sometimes), 2 rosboras, 2 black neon tetras and 1 glolight tetra. I have sand and live plants in my tank. It has a 4 filter (pre-wool, carbon and the two bacteria sponges) system/pump. The water temperature is 24-25 degrees C.

Is there any other info you need?

Thank you :)

what fish do the share the tank with
whats your stats

I have 15 fish in my tank (which works with the 1 inch of fish per US gallon rule). When I first got them I didn't know about best mixes etc, so perhaps it's not the best thought out. But I have: 4 male guppies, 1 female guppy (I know this is terrible, but it worked out that way after previous females guppies giving birth and then dying (fungus infections, I think), 3 catfish (cories), 2 cherry barbs (one of which likes to pester the other fish sometimes), 2 rosboras, 2 black neon tetras and 1 glolight tetra. I have sand and live plants in my tank. It has a 4 filter (pre-wool, carbon and the two bacteria sponges) system/pump. The water temperature is 24-25 degrees C.

Is there any other info you need?

Thank you :)

i would say there being nipped by
one of your other fish like could be
the cheery barbs or something like that
barbs and long finned fish dont mix

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I know that now... But didn't at the time of buying them. For some reason the LFS said they're good community fish. So you don't think it looks like they have fin/tail rot but just nipping?

[/quote]

Yeah, I know that now... But didn't at the time of buying them. For some reason the LFS said they're good community fish. So you don't think it looks like they have fin/tail rot but just nipping?
[/quote]

just nipping by the looks of it

Most reactions

Back