Please Help! Could Be Fish Tb?

raindropsfly

Reaction score
My platies and molly fry have been suffering from all of these symptoms for months now. I have tried and failed at curing whatever they have. Here is some information.

Finally All of the Symptoms and Signs.
Loss of appetite
Progressive thinness
Sluggish movement
Clamped fins
Skeletal deformity
- spine curved upwards and one that has it curved to the side.
A little red around gills
Scales loosening and falling out
Stringy Poop
Random white Spots that appear and disappear
Thinness of Body
Flicking ( rubbing against objects )
Constantly getting stuck to filter…

I Have done 25% water changes every 2 weeks for each tank.
I do not have the proper tools to test my water.
I add the proper amount of aquarium salt to the tank when needed.
I have tried giving salt baths, but seems to not work.
I have also tried melafix and primafix, and Fish Ich Cure, all have no improvement.
I clean the filters once a month.

From what I’v researched I think it could be Fish TB, but I want to be positive with you guys. On the other hand, I would rather euthanize my fish instead of months of treatment.
If any advice please help. Thanks!
Fish2.jpg

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Fish1.jpg
    Fish1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 44
im still learning alot about fish as well. but i do know that only doing a 25% water change every 2 weeks is not enough.

looks like all the signs of ich, and stringy poop is normal for like all fish. do a 25% water change weekly, and use ich treatment. you can get it anywhere, and you should be doing 10% water changes weekly even when your fish aren't sick. and 25 once a month while you clean your filter.

Fish TB is relatively rare, internal protizoans are not. Metronidazole, 40mg/gallon, with 50% water change & redose daily. Don't feed at all for 3 days, on the third day sprinkle some metro on frozen brine shrimp; feed this only once daily. Continue for 10-14 days.

This is more commonly found in cichlids, a situation where you could bring up the water temperature quite a bit without affecting the fish. Livebearers won't appreciate that high of a temperature, 78F is about the maximum I would go.

I'll double check with OM47, he's seen quite a bit more of the world of livebearers than I, but at first appearance with the information given this is how I would proceed.

I am afraid that fish disease is outside my experience since well cared for livebearers are rather tough compared to most fish. I will defer to any advice you get in the emergencies section since people there are generally better at any disease than I would be.

ok, first question - what are the ammonia and nitrite reading from your water?

You state that you clean your filter every month. Please state this cleaning process step by step - don't leave anything out, this could be critcal.

Finally, do you treat your tank water with dechlorinator?

looks like all the signs of ich, and stringy poop is normal for like all fish. do a 25% water change weekly, and use ich treatment. you can get it anywhere, and you should be doing 10% water changes weekly even when your fish aren't sick. and 25 once a month while you clean your filter.

Stringy 'poop' is not natural, especially if it is white or translucent.

As the OP states, they have already tried ich treatment - but running through that symptom list it does not sound like ich at all.

My opinion is definately NOT ich, from the symptoms discribed. Ich looks like someone sprinkled salt on the fish. I can't say it is not fish tb, but it probably isn't. Everything Zoddyzod said is spot on. The first four symptoms and the red gills points to ammonia or nitrite poisoning.This is why you really should have a test kit, but I can understand not being able to afford it. Get your lfs to do it and get the numbers for the tests. Don't let them say they are fine. If you answer Zoddy's questions, we may be able to figure it out or point you in the right direction. Tolak also has a good point. The stringy poop could be internal parasites. These would also cause alot of your symptoms. Sorry for your troubles.

You should also up your partial water changes. Good clean water goes a long way.

Zoody: I will do my best to figure out those readings as soon as possible. Filter cleaning-
1- turn off filter and take it out of tank
2- at sink I take it apart as much as I can
3- I wash off all the pieces and parts with sink water
4- I take a pipe cleaner and/ or nail brush to scrub as much gunk out as possible.
5- if I can not reach an area I force as much water into the area and shake/ tap the area
6- I wash everything off after I scrub each item
7- I put all of the parts back into their proper place and return it to fish tank.

*honestly since where I buy the filter is faraway I try to use it for as long as possible and I wash it with basic soap and then rinse it very well.

Thank you so much for everyone's help!

You wash the filter with soap??!! You better be rinsing it very very very well! Soap could potentionally kill your fish so that could be your problem. :blink: I personally never use soap on any of my fish equipment, just to be safe.

You wash the filter with soap??!! You better be rinsing it very very very well! Soap could potentionally kill your fish so that could be your problem. :blink: I personally never use soap on any of my fish equipment, just to be safe.

+1
Also Never wash filter with tap water....kills all of bacteria :/

3- I wash off all the pieces and parts with sink water

*honestly since where I buy the filter is faraway I try to use it for as long as possible and I wash it with basic soap and then rinse it very well.

ok, we have found your problem.

The purpose of your filter is not simply to remove the 'gunk' from the tank. Its main purpose is to be a home for bacteria that process harmful chemicals produced by the fish through their waste. These bacteria will die if you introduce them to water with chlorine (which is in your tap water) and certainly if you expose them to soap of any kind (this will also be bad for the fish if it gets into the tank and no matter how hard you rinse, there will still be some present).

Because you are killing any bacteria in your filter on a regular basis, there is nothing in there to deal with the ammonia and nitrite (the two toxic chemicals produced by fish waste) and they are building up to dangerous levels and poisoning your fish.

Have a look in the beginners section and read all the topics on the nitrogen cycle and 'cycling'. This will explain the problem in more depth.

As for now, I would be doing LARGE water changes (80%+) with dechlorinated water (I assume you have a water treatment that removes chlorine?) as it will be the only way you can save those fish (if they aren't too far gone already). You also need to invest in a liquid test kit (not strips) that test for ammonia & nitrite - any fish shop will sell these.

If you need another opinion, Zoddy is once again spot on. Washing out your filter in tap water will kill your beneficial bacteria. Washing anything that goes in your aquarium with soap is a big no no. The soap kills the beneficial bacteria and leaves a residue that will kill your fish. That's a double whammy! Do large water changes of 80 - 90% asap. and do them daily until you can get a test kit or have the water tested at your lfs and get the numbers. Don't let them say it's fine, you need the numbers.

Hello raindropsfly.

Sorry to hear about your problems...

My take on this:

Your filter cleaning mistake has been covered above. It would appear that your fish have been damaged (at least initally) by ammonia.

I keep and breed mollies (4 species, various varities). A few months ago I had a major filter problem in one tank (long story... in essence a manufacturing fault allowed a large percentage unfiltered water to be returned to the tank). This allowed a slow build up of ammonia which my test kit (branded & within use by date) did NOT flag up. This tank held my breeding stock of liberty mollies (P. salvatoris).

I would estimate that the mollies were exposed to ammonia for a couple of months. 6 0f the 8 adults (first generation wild caught) died with similar symptoms to those that you describe. 95% of the second generation died within 4 weeks in a hospital tank. 60% of the third generation did not prosper well at all.. they are continuing to die off slowly... thin and wasted...

Some have survived and recovered well. They are currently breeding and producing healthy fry.

Expect to suffer a large percentage of losses... If you can, get any remaining fry into a hospital tank asap.

Good luck.. I know exactly how you feel.

Bodge99.

Most reactions

Back