Play Sand for Stingray?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh, do you mean PH? Mine is 7.6, I guess you could say moderate, that's what comes out of my tap, and that's what's in both of my tanks.

Oh, do you mean PH? Mine is 7.6, I guess you could say moderate, that's what comes out of my tap, and that's what's in both of my tanks.

The pH is different than GH and KH, though the three are interconnected. GH (general hardness, or total hardness) is the level of dissolved minerals in the water, primarily calcium and magnesium; this is the most significant of the three for fish. KH is carbonate hardness or Alkalinity, and this can "buffer" pH preventing fluctuations. Generally (there are always exceptions) the higher the GH, the higher the KH, and the pH will tend to be higher as well as more stable.

You need to track down the GH. You may find it posted on your water authority's website, or you can call them. This is not likely to change much, assuming the water source is stable. You can "target" the GH in an aquarium; adding calcareous substances will increase the GH, KH and pH, and this is the easiest. Adding organics will tend to lower the pH but only if this is not being influenced by the GH/KH.

Most reactions

Back