Play-Sand As Substrate, Safe Or Not?

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, had a question, is play-sand as a substrate safe for fish? And will it affect water parameters as far it goes?

Hey guys, had a question, is play-sand as a substrate safe for fish? And will it affect water parameters as far it goes?
Playsand is indeed safe to use and doesnt affect your water parametres. I use it in all my tanks.
Not sure where Jjs but Quikrete Play Sand is the go to in the States.

Last edited:
It can vary depending on where you are. I have multiple types where I am, and most are neutral. It can take a lot of rinsing though.

It's my go to substrate.

Hello. Sand is fine if you have no other choice. Sand can compact in areas and create water problems. So, if you use it, make sure you move is around from time to time. It would be more difficult to clean than say a type of pebble. i use gray pebbles. The material is very easy to vacuum, a lot more so than sand. River Rock is a good brand of pebbles. There are several natural colors you can use. Attached is a photo of a tank with the gray pebbles.

Attachments

• IMG_3980 (1).jpg
    IMG_3980 (1).jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 28
It's fine for fish, the annoying thing is all the free dust that comes with it.

The downside of sand is compacting, solved in seconds if you have a stick and can lightly crease the sand surface every now and then. Mulm and debris tend to sit on sand and fall into pebbles, so unless you have a lot of rooted plants to feed on the mulm, sand is better.
When I have a chance, I compromise and mix sand with pool filter gravel - a finer gravel that is perfect(ish). Sometimes it depends on the fish you want to keep.
Sand is ideal for Corydoras and the eartheating groups of Cichlids.

As usual in this hobby, there is no perfection, but a lot of adjustment to what you want to do. I keep small fish, and like sand.

Hello again. I think you could use sand. It's not wrong to use it. But, pebbles are easily vacuumed if any fish or plant material falls into it. The pebbles allow water to flow through the spaces easily, no water aeration issues. Sand on the other hand, is easily disturbed and debris could float around the tank for a short time. Try the sand if you like. I think you'll find the pebbles easier.

Everybody's different. Thank God for diversity!

Hello again. I think you could use sand. It's not wrong to use it. But, pebbles are easily vacuumed if any fish or plant material falls into it. The pebbles allow water to flow through the spaces easily, no water aeration issues. Sand on the other hand, is easily disturbed and debris could float around the tank for a short time. Try the sand if you like. I think you'll find the pebbles easier.

Everybody's different. Thank God for diversity!

All right then, appreciate all of your inputs and answers

I realized we never answered your question directly. If it's playsand, then it should be as safe as any substrate. Sand will vary depending on where it comes from, but it's generally very similar in composition.

After that, you have us with our preferences, and you deciding how it would work with the fish you have or want.

Some brands say that they aren't aquarium safe. If you're in the US, you want to use Quikrete. In the UK, you want Argos.

Otherwise, play sand is pretty ideal. It's soft so it's good for bottom dwellers like corys or fish that like to dig like cichlids. It looks natural. Add some root tabs and plants grow in it. Andit's very affordable.

I used to use swimming pool filter sand. It is coarser than some other types, and less likely to pack down. I was lucky though, there was a pool shop about 10km away in the North of Farnborough, I could easily get hold of the media, I don't know how readily available this stuff is. Good stuff, I was very happy with it.

Last edited:
I realized we never answered your question directly. If it's playsand, then it should be as safe as any substrate. Sand will vary depending on where it comes from, but it's generally very similar in composition.

After that, you have us with our preferences, and you deciding how it would work with the fish you have or want.
Some brands say that they aren't aquarium safe. If you're in the US, you want to use Quikrete. In the UK, you want Argos.

Otherwise, play sand is pretty ideal. It's soft so it's good for bottom dwellers like corys or fish that like to dig like cichlids. It looks natural. Add some root tabs and plants grow in it. Andit's very affordable.
I use, SAKRETE PLAY SAND, is that fine?

About the sand compacting-if you have something like Malaysian Trumpet Snails or Rabbit Snails they disturb the sand themselves.
However Malaysian Trumpet Snails multiply fast, and some big Rabbit Snails can accidentally uproot plants and I am assuming decor.

About the sand compacting-if you have something like Malaysian Trumpet Snails or Rabbit Snails they disturb the sand themselves.
However Malaysian Trumpet Snails multiply fast, and some big Rabbit Snails can accidentally uproot plants and I am assuming decor.
In my experience, MTS only burrow through about the top 1/4 inch of sand, so I'm not convinced of their value. However, plant roots will keep sand aerated.* So either keep the sand fairly shallow, or have it deep with lots of plant roots (crypts and swords are especially valuable). No burrowing critters necessary. :)

*Find a copy of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad (peace be upon her) if you want to geek out on the science of plant roots

Most reactions

Back