Platys

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I recently moved two of my pregnant female platys to a seperate 10 gallon so that they can have have their fry. It has been a couple of days and they are very pregnant and i have noticed them hiding all day long and only coming out to feed. Should i be worried or is that normal for them to do that.

I recently moved two of my pregnant female platys to a seperate 10 gallon so that they can have have their fry. It has been a couple of days and they are very pregnant and i have noticed them hiding all day long and only coming out to feed. Should i be worried or is that normal for them to do that.
They could be getting used to their new tank or they could be nesting. My platys tend to find a quiet place to rest and sort of zone out for several days before “the day”.

This behavior is completely normal for platys, however moving them to a separate tank may have stressed them causing them to hide, but for best results with fry your doing the right thing.

She has her skin/scales coming off and i think that she got stuck under a rock. It is all red. I removed the rock but i hope that she can recover. Any ideas of what to do. She isnt eating now. She must have gotten scared and wedged herself and i dident know.

Sounds like an emergency- I’m a newbie but maybe more senior posters can help! What are the water parameters in the new tank? I believe there are things that can possibly help (perhaps stress coat?) but I request a more educated opinion. You may want to post on emergencies- good luck!

It’s really not recommended to move pregnant fish. It stresses them out and delays birth. Better to move the fry after birth. Clean water will take care of the injury.

Most reactions

Back