Platys looking very lethargic

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 19 (UK) gallon tank, Nitrites at zero, pH at 7.0, temperature maintained at just below 26 degrees.

Of the three platys, one is being fin nipped by a pregnant looking zebra danio, while the other stays more or less motionless half way up the tank side in a corner. I am pretty sure that the fish is a male so pregnancy is not an issue (there is a little tube between the anal fins, which is what I was told to look for in a male) Any reason why he might be so lethargic

I haven't tested water hardness for a while, does this change as the water ages in the tank?

Do you use aquarium salt at all? I find this extreemly benefical to mollies, guppies, platies. Maybe they are too frightened to swim round because of the daino being like he is?

I can't use aquarium salt. The danios had started to bite my siamese fighting fish, so I took them to the pet store, who have swapped them for neon tetras (a more peaceful fish). As neons are scaleless, I can't use salt as I have been told this will kill them.

Does anyone have any detail about water hardness or salt baths that I could use?

bigfish said:
Do you use aquarium salt at all? I find this extreemly benefical to mollies, guppies, platies. Maybe they are too frightened to swim round because of the daino being like he is?
You are not supposed to put salt in with the platies cause there not saltwater. :sly: :/

Well actually small amounts of salt are good for platies because the estuaries they come from have salt :) Small amounts of salt are good for all livebearers because it reduces their likelihood of contracting diseases such as whitespot (ich) and fin problems also :)

I have a community tank with pretty much the same mix of fish ( I also have tiger barbs) but I have been told not to put salt into the tank because of the cories as they really DONT like it. :eek:

I put about half the recommened amout of salt in my community tank and none of my fish have ever had a problem. My Corys are as active as always. I feel using salt is a what your fish are comfortable with. Start out light and watch your fish. I have noticed improved behaviour in my fish with a little salt so used in moderation it cant be all that bad.

Les

They are all fine now

From what I can tell, my brother washed his car with the bucket I water change with, unknown to me. This left a film of soap in the bucket, which I added to my tank when I water changed.

Unfortunately my siamese fighter died from this as they are quite prone to water changes. This was probably causing the lethargy in my platies, but as I have water changed a lot (with a different bucket) the water is now back to normal and all my fish have never been better (the platies seem hardier than anything else in the tank). Thanks for the advice. By the way I haven't given my platies any salt and they seem great

Most reactions

Back