Platy

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Should i set it from 11 am to 6 pm? When is your timer set for?

Should i set it from 11 am to 6 pm? When is your timer set for?
I turn mine on and off manually depending when I am around because my tank has a remote with it, and my other tank is empty at the minute. 11am-7pm sounds like a good time. I would go with that one.

I have to wake up early for school can i feed them in the dark.

I have to wake up early for school can i feed them in the dark.
yeah yeah, i’m the same but usually my light goes on late, I go to school at 8:00am and leave it off, but i have puffers, I feed mine three times a day once at about 8 then twice later on, I get home about 3:30pm and this is when the light will go on until about 10:30pm.

Fish should not be fed in the dark (except for nocturnal fish) or during the first hour after the lights come on. If your lights are on when you get home from school, feed them then.

On the subject of lights, they should turn on and off at the same time every day. They should be on for the same number of hours every day. It doesn't matter if the tank lights are on in the morning, afternoon or evening as long as the time they are on is the same every day.
There should always be a period of total darkness in every 24 hours, at the same time every day.

The room should be in daylight or the room light switched on for at least 30 minutes before the lights turn on; the room should be in daylight or the room light turned for at least 30 minutes after the tank lights turn off.
Fish's eyes respond differently to light from human eyes. It takes at least 30 minutes for their eyes to adjust when tank lights turn on and off and if they go from total darkness to bright tank lights, and vice versa, it stresses them. Some fish are so startled they dash around the tank and can injure themselves. Having daylight or room light between darkness and tank lights provides a sort of dawn and dusk period during which their eyes have time to adapt.

I had that problem with some black mollies I had but it was pregnant for over 2 months and my brother cut the mollies stomach open and took all the babies out. The mother died but now we have a bunch of black mollies

My platys have been pregnant for a while and was wondering if i could get a guess of when they are going to deliver so that i am ready to catch the fry once they are born. The females are the orange and white ones.View attachment 95951
I wouldn’t worry at all. I still remember my first time waiting for the platy and Molly to drop, now the platy I have in the tank are second gen of the store ones and is about to deliver another few. My 3rd gen platy are doing quite well.

I know how much you want to take a video of what you saw on YouTube, truth is fish are different. Even my first molly it took her 2+months to deliver. Just keep your tank healthy and put lots hiding places for the little ones. You will wake up to some cute small fry sooner than later. Enjoy!

I had that problem with some black mollies I had but it was pregnant for over 2 months and my brother cut the mollies stomach open and took all the babies out. The mother died but now we have a bunch of black mollies
My first molly fish spent 2+months but eventually she delivered. Then there were continuously fry population expansion. You guys were a little too desperate but I could totally understand your feelings.

My first molly fish spent 2+months but eventually she delivered. Then there were continuously fry population expansion. You guys were a little too desperate but I could totally understand your feelings.
My black Mollie were the same way it took time but once the fry showed up in no time I had a tank full of fry. I had so many survive that I could not give them away fast enough.

I wasn’t there when he cut it open but he said it was because the female molly was swimming weakly and then got sucked to the filter. I’m assuming he thought it would die

Most reactions

Back