Platy Still Pregnant?

eweeb

Reaction score
Hi,
a few days ago my Platy unexpectidly had some babies!! unfortunatly I was at work at the time and only managed to rescue one. The thing is my Platy is still rather fat, infact seems even fatter than just before she had the baby. Could she still be pregnant? Or is she just fat? I've noticed lately she has discovered that cat fish pellets are tasty and hangs around the bottom helping my Corys and upside down cat to eat the pellets. I couldnt believe it today when she actually tried to push my upside down cat who is about 3 times as big as her out of the way!!! luckily my cats r v placid, (unlike her!) I'm getting the impression she is probably eating too much... or could she still be pregnant? Someone told me they can store sperm for up to 7 months.

Also- I'm abit concerned that I might get overstocked with Platys. What kinds of things do people do to to keep their stocks low? I really dont like the idea of allowing my fry to become a tasty snack each time some are born. What kind of things do you guys do? because I cant imagine a pet store would take them off my hands. Thanks in advance!

She is still pregnant. That doesn't mean she will give birth again in the near future. Platies can give birthda up to six times from one mating. It is possible that she is larger a couple days after giving birth. From my experience, Platies will plump up extra large at the beginning of pregnancies, slim down a bit, and then plump up again.

Yes, with livebearers the population explosion is always a concern. Not all the fry will be be eaten unless you remove all the hiding place in the tank. Still, some won't even be eaten. I've found that there tends to be a balance of population as long as hiding places are not too numerous.

Thanks for that bit of information!! I know now to expect some more fry some time. Thanks also for your advice!! much appreciated.

One of my LFS's will take my fry, in fact they're glad to 'cause they're getting them very cheap. Ask around your LFS's you may be surprised at how easy it will be to get rid of them. Even letting nature take it's course, you're going to end up with way too many eventually and if any of them are male then they'll breed with the females etc etc etc

There is a buy sell swap forum here. Depending where you live. It is also not good to continue interbreeding so swapping can help others too.

One of my LFS's will take my fry, in fact they're glad to 'cause they're getting them very cheap. Ask around your LFS's you may be surprised at how easy it will be to get rid of them. Even letting nature take it's course, you're going to end up with way too many eventually and if any of them are male then they'll breed with the females etc etc etc

Thanks for that!! will def ask around my LFS's.

There is a buy sell swap forum here. Depending where you live. It is also not good to continue interbreeding so swapping can help others too.

I will check out the swapping forum too, thanks. hopefully will find some people near by... what a good idea!

I also had a platy that was quite fat but not giving birth and slimming down and so on. I have had my platies for 3 weeks now. My sunset platy had dark bits inside it, around its stomach but now they are gone. Is she still going to give birth? She is still looking bloated. When will she give birth?

I know this is very vague but I would very much appreciate a response. Thanks

I also had a platy that was quite fat but not giving birth and slimming down and so on. I have had my platies for 3 weeks now. My sunset platy had dark bits inside it, around its stomach but now they are gone. Is she still going to give birth? She is still looking bloated. When will she give birth?

I know this is very vague but I would very much appreciate a response. Thanks

I believe the dark spot you have seen is the gravid spot. The spot is always there, but comes more defined during pregnancy. The gravid spot may be easily seen sometimes and barely noticeable at other times. This is normal as lighting and angle makes a marked difference.

Pregnancy with livebearers generally lasts approximately four weeks. My fish normally get large in the first week and then slim down in a couple days and then slow get progressively larger until they give birth. Before giving birth your fish should be huge, I mean looking like they are going to explode.

Given that you have had your fish for three weeks, any number of things is possible. They could have given birth already and all the fry were eaten. Try to see if there are any fry hiding among the decorations, plants, and edges of the tank. You may also have the possibility the fish have not given birth yet. Assuming you have males and females or fish that were already pregnant, if they have given birth and you are watching them every day, you're like to see fry so just be patient.

Thank you. I do have a male with the two females. There are no fry in the tank. The area behind her anal fin where the gravid spot was is now a sort of see through deep red. She is still eating a lot more than my other platies and black tetras.

Most reactions

Back