Platy Rearing Tank

rusty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey all ive just bought a 5g aqua-40 tank for bringing on my platy fry. As i was unprepared for my first batch but can still see 4 in my main tank :) . Back to the point my rearing tank came with a small fan tail goldfish and i didnt have the heart not to take him/her as i didnt know what the old owner would have done with him/her. Do you think he will be ok with platy fry or will he/she still eat them

There's a few problems with keeping the Goldfish with the Platies.
  1. It will probably eat them.
  2. Goldfish produce a lot of waste, which will make the water quality go downhill fast. This will not be good for the fry.
  3. Goldfish are coldwater fish, Platies are tropical. They don't have the same requirements.
  4. Most importantly, the Goldfish will get way too big for that tank. You need at least a 20g for one.
I'd either give the Goldfish to someone (Possibly someone on here, in the Buy Sell and Swap section, if you're worried about the care) or get a larger tank. You can find out more about Goldfish in the Coldwater and Ponds section of the forum. :)

Anyway, to sum it up...No, they won't work. Sorry. :X

ok thanks for the help just felt i had to take him with the tank i knew he would get to big at some point ill find him a good home thanks again how do i get to the seel and swap part of the site

Most reactions

Back