Platy Problem

emmzer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi alll....my new platy seems to be off colour he is swimming on his side and staying close to the top any ideas would be welcomed thanks

Hi
What size is your tank and how long has it been running for?
How long have you had the fish?
Whre did you get it from?
Are there any other fish in that tank?
what are your water stats?
I know it seems like a lot of questions but they are very important.

I agree need to answer the question, water change as well.

Hi
What size is your tank and how long has it been running for?
How long have you had the fish?
Whre did you get it from?
Are there any other fish in that tank?
what are your water stats?
I know it seems like a lot of questions but they are very important.

hi there tank is 18 gallons, had up and running 3 months
fish had for 2 days
got it from a well known stockists in the area which is a tourist attraction as well
a few other fish..ie neons..guppies. pleco. flame heads an corydoras
water stats all fine and correct and i done a water change the night b4 i bought them

Sounds like swim bladder then, is the fish bloated, can he maintain his balance in the water, does it look like his tail weighing him down.
Does he swim upside down.
I would try some shelled peas on him, cook peas for a few minutes, let cool down, pop out of shell, mush between fingers and add to the tank.
Don't feed flake food for a few days.
Get some frozen foods daphnia is very good for digesting the fish food.

Sounds like swim bladder then, is the fish bloated, can he maintain his balance in the water, does it look like his tail weighing him down.
Does he swim upside down.
I would try some shelled peas on him, cook peas for a few minutes, let cool down, pop out of shell, mush between fingers and add to the tank.
Don't feed flake food for a few days.
Get some frozen foods daphnia is very good for digesting the fish food.

wow thanks for the really quick response... right yes he is swimming upside down, on 1 side to cant keep his balance, havnt noticed about his tail tho, as for the food i am now of to bed and have no peas all i got is frozen blood worm, dried shrimp, and flake to hand, any of this any good for him, also anything else i can do for it? would putting him in a bredding net away from the other help...aslo is this catching i had 1 of the other platies die this morning from same batch

Not got a good batch of them, no don't add the bloodworms will make things worse.
To be honest if he's swimming upside down he's not going to make it sorry, i would put him in the net then.
R.I.P. to the one that died.
I wouldn't feed them for aday, and no flakes they need flushing throw with peas and daphnia.
As long as the fish can't peck at him they should be fine.

Not got a good batch of them, no don't add the bloodworms will make things worse.
To be honest if he's swimming upside down he's not going to make it sorry, i would put him in the net then.
R.I.P. to the one that died.
I wouldn't feed them for aday, and no flakes they need flushing throw with peas and daphnia.
As long as the fish can't peck at him they should be fine.

i have seperated the 1 that is swimming each way but up and put him in some revitaliser tonic, unfortnatly i feed him today and that was with flake, not so surre he ate tho.
he is now swimming more on his side but when i made the water unsteady he went upside down, he seems to be able to stay afloat normally but for only short periods... he is breathing but semms like to much effort..
thanks for all ya help unfortunatly i dont have any peas or daphina

Sorry bless him R.I.P.

Most reactions

Back