Plastic And Females?

Silvani

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have some plastic plants. They were bought looooong before I had read about the silk or live only plant rule/advice.

So I had a thought:

I understand that the plastic tears long betta fins, however would plastic plants be safe for female bettas since their fins are short and not likely to be torn? The extra plants in their tank may make them feel more secure with even more places to hide. But I thought I should get a 2nd or 3rd opinion before doing so.

The tanks are all set up with silk plants at the moment, and I’ve been toying with the idea of buying live java ferns and moss. However I think I’ll get the fish, make sure they are all settled before taking on the challenge of live plants as well.

So what do you think, can I throw some of the plastic ones in on the females side of the tank? Yay or nay? :/

I use various plastic and silk plants with all bettas, you just have to try to get broadleaved ones if you go plastic so they aren't spear-like. Infact my males like the thick ones so they can sit in them:)) Though I haven't had problems I know some people won't use plastic for fear of a tear.

Hmmm.... well lets make sure I have this right. What would you say for the following?

1. No because its pointy? Or is this ok?
3017203067B.jpg

2. Yes because its not actually pointy? Or no because the leaves are not broad?
4562305106B.jpg

:dunno:

edited since the first picture changed. Changed back to what it was.

I had a platy "impaled" on a plastic plant similar to the last one in the first photo. It was not a pretty sight. The plant had her caught by a gill. I won't buy plastic again.

i've used ones like the first one pictured with both males and females with no issues. it's pretty soft and smooth. try running an old pair of panty hose (ask your mom/sister/female friend for some if you're a guy or just dont have any). if it snags, then the plant is sharp enough to tear fins.

I have that first plant in one of my males tanks right now. And the second, I have a 'thicker' version of in another male's. The second one is a good sitter-plant, lol. Take a look at the edges and see if they are rounded and smooth, and no pokey parts.
A plus on silk is that there are fewer pokey parts, and, usually thebottom is already weighted if you don't choose gravel or find the weighted bottoms easier.

I personally don't like plastic at all, its just not natural. Why not just put some live plants in there?? My males LOVE water lettuce, it grows on top of the water and the roots are very long and feathery and hang down to the bottom of the tank. very pretty and provides an ideal base for a nest.
Duckweed is cheap and plentiful too. Its very tiny and grows at the top as well but its roots are very short and hairlike and provide a safe home for the top dwelling betta fry. Both are hardy and low care aquatic plants that greatly benefit the fish, especially fry :)

Most reactions

Back