Plants?

Chrissy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my betta from a 1 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank. I was wondering what kind of live plants are good for bettas. Has anyone heard of 'Betta Bulbs' ? I was told you can buy them at Petco and they are basicly plants that are good for bettas and will grow in the tank. Has anyone tried them? Are they any good?

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

They sell things like that at walmart, and they havent recently worked for me.

Any plant is good for a betta. There are no bad ones.

Are there any that you reccomend? Any that your bettas really like? I know the 'results could vary' But I'm just trying to get an idea of what he might like.

Thanks, though!

like I said, it doesnt matter. just get the ones you like the best.

The easiest plants to keep IME are java moss and java fern. they don't need special lighting conditions and are very hardy :)

Dwarfs said:
The easiest plants to keep IME are java moss and java fern. they don't need special lighting conditions and are very hardy :)
Ok, thanks! Now I just need to find out where I can buy them. I think bettatalk.com might sell them there, though. I'll have to see...:)

you can find it at any lfs or petstore.

Ok, thanks again everyone! I'll try to get to a pet or fish store this weekend sometime.

I'm just worried with live plants about having problems with snails. I just remember in my dad's old fish tank the snails multiplied so much in the 5 gallon tank that we had to take the fish out and get rid of the snails some how. (Don't remember how...)

What kind of lighting, how many watts will you be running?

Here's a list of low light plants:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.p...y=2&filter_by=2

Here's a (bad) pic of my 5.5g when it had a betta:

scars015.jpg

I have in it: java moss, java fern, anubius nana, hygrophila polysperma, cryptocoryne wendtii, and I think it also has a Aponogeton bulb (from Walmart).

It had about 2 watts per gallon, but I recently changed the aquascaping and lighting a bit. I'll try to add an updated (and better) pic tonight when I get home from work, although it no longer has a betta.

:)

Java Fern and bettas are best friends!! Very low light! It can tolerate low Ph if you are using Indian Almond Leaves. Heres a two betta bowls that I have been growing Java fern for a month now.

twotanks.jpg

Ok, I've have to look for Java Fern!

I'm not sure how many watts the lighting will be in the new tank, I'll try to find out.

Most reactions

Back