Plants For My Toad Tank :)

Maximus

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys, my first post over here so bear with me :blush:

I have a firebelly toad tank, 1/3 filled with water, heated to 26oc, and basic lighting.

I was just wondering if there are any plants that could live in this environment,
without any special requirements? (high light, co2 ect.)

If not, just tell me :lol:

Thanks in advance,

Maximus

Hi,
We have a tank like this at work. We have Anubias tied to wood in it. Some of the leaves are even out the water. It's doing really well. Just make sure the Rhizome is underwater. Good luck.

Hi,
We have a tank like this at work. We have Anubias tied to wood in it. Some of the leaves are even out the water. It's doing really well. Just make sure the Rhizome is underwater. Good luck.

Thanks alot :good:

What about some of these plants that are sold as aquatic, but actually aren't?

Most are white/green in colour?!

Or have I lost the plot? :look:

Maximus

Yup, terrestrial plants will be a good choice.I think Draecanas are the ones commonly sold as aquatic.Yes, most do have green/white leaves, your not going crazy lol.A good way to tell if they are aquatic or not is to hold them out of the water and if they stand up straight chances are they are non-aquatic.I would also put some mosses in there, such as java moss, which could be left to grow on the outside and inside of the aquarium.It just needs to be kept wet.As previously suggested anubias's are a very good choice, hardy and one of the most attractive plants you can get imo, just tie the ryzome to a rock/wood with a peice of thread/fishing line (same with java moss) and a month later it will be securely attached on there.I'm sure there are also many other plants whcih would work well in your setup which I do not know of.

Also i would recomend co2, my anubias and java moss (and other plants) were growing pretty slow before i got it, few days after they were pearling.A nutrafin canister would be the easiest choice (and probably the best) for your tank.All you would need to do is change the diffuser to something that would fit into your tank, because your water level is low the co2 diffuser provided with the kit will stick out and won't work. Can i have another pic of your tank (saw it on another post) to see how your setup would work with plants and the co2.

For ground covering you could have four leaf clover, an easy undermanding plant.

Just remembered, the spider plant or 'wheat plant' is another terrestrial plant which would work in your tank, well I should think it would :fun: Hydrocotyle lococephala i think is also terrestrail.Grown as a herb i think.Can be fully submerged as an aquatic plant aswell.Very fast growing plant.If you don't like the idea of co2 you could always go for something such as Seachem Flourish Excel, provides co2 and works as a fert (i think)>might get expensive in time though.

WOW!

Cheers for all the info dude :good:

I'm gonna look up about those plants you mentioned,
and see which sp. I like the sound of :shout:

Thanks again dude :hyper:

Maximus

No need for C02 in your tank IMO. If you're just wanting a simple way of planting the tank go for easy plants such as mosses, anubias, java ferns, hydrocotyle leucophala, hygrophila sp. (polysperma or corymbosa) + alot more.Have a look on tropica.com . All of these plants will grow emersed from the water if kept pretty damp.

Also Flourish Excel doesn't add CO2, but adds carbon in a different organic compound.

Most reactions

Back