Plants For Cichlids

Gwar

Reaction score
We have a 55 gallon cichlid tank. We have 11 cichlids assorted (dont ask species as we are not 100% sure on each but it is a mix and they are from LFS), 14 fry in a hospital, and 1 common pleco. There is 2 15w t8 aqua-glo lights. Running a Fluval 304 and a 204 filter. Sand substrate and some drift wood.

We are looking to start some live plants. We have done some research and was hoping someone could steer us in the right direction. What plants are good start with? What other measure should we take? We would like to stay away from co2 if possible we just want to get away from fake plants.

Thanks for your help and all opinions appreciated and dont hold back.

cichlids are bottom feeders and diggers. you would really want a rock scape with no plants for them. they will uproot and destroy any plants you put in there. If you choose to do fake plants, super glue the to the rock otherwise they will always be floating at the top of the tank.

cichlids are bottom feeders and diggers. you would really want a rock scape with no plants for them. they will uproot and destroy any plants you put in there. If you choose to do fake plants, super glue the to the rock otherwise they will always be floating at the top of the tank.

I appreciate the advice. I understand the nature of cichlids and there natural habitat. Some of the research Ive done says there is some plants are safe and wont be eaten buy them. They have had fake plants for the past six months and although they do dig they haven't uprooted the plants. I was wondering what plants you guys believe are safe for them.

I don't know any that are unsafe for them. I just don't know many plants that will stand up to them :lol:
When u say stand up to them are u talking about uprooting them or eating them. I heard java fern and a few others that I cant find locally wont be nipped at by them. I feel I could try some see how they do but I dont want them eating something that isnt good for them.

Java fern is probably the only thing that's quite durable and could work well with malawi's (guessing you have malawi's?) I had a huge vallis that grew amazing in my old planted tank withing a week 30 mbuna stripped it to nothing when i added it to their tank. :rolleyes:

I don't know any that are unsafe for them. I just don't know many plants that will stand up to them :lol:
When u say stand up to them are u talking about uprooting them or eating them. I heard java fern and a few others that I cant find locally wont be nipped at by them. I feel I could try some see how they do but I dont want them eating something that isnt good for them.

Whether its uprooting them or eating them, I do not know any that will harm cichlids. Malawi Mad would really be the best to confirm that with though.

We tried about a dozen different kinds of plants, and none withstood the torture of the firemouths and JDs.
crazy.gif

Thanks for ur comments. If anyone else has had experiences please post a reply. Once again the experience and quick responses of members on this forum far exceed any other forum ive seen.

We like to help people out :) I wouldn't know what I know now if I hadn't met the people here. You will find there is a lot of experience and knowledge floating in between the members here. You will also soon know who to go to about what type of fish lol. If you ever get livebearers, hit me up, I can tell you all about them lol

Most reactions

Back