Plants For A 2Ft Tank

Craig89

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all i set up my spare 2ft tank in the living room to put my Rams in with a few tetra or shrimp really want to plant this tank abd be succesfull as my last atemp at a planted tank wasnt the best. Ive got a sand/gravel substrate and a single 18" 15w bulb. Currently has internal filter but is to be replaced with an external one as i want to use glass lily pipes.

Can anyone suggest the best plants to use. Woukd i need Co2 or sone kind of special plant substrate.

get some good old dirt (john innes no.1) . put it on the base of the tank then cover it with the same depth of gravel/sand then plant away

you can buy proper plant substrate, I've got JBL aquabasis+ in mine after it was recommended by Ian, with play sand over the top.

There's also flourite, monado, laterite, each with pluses and minuses.

If you're wanting to buy some plants soon I'm going to be placing an order next week, so don't mind sharing postage :)

For low light, anubias, java fern and mosses are good, crypts would work too and give cover for the rams if they were strategically placed around cave entrances etc.

As for filter, I'm planning on using an All Pond Solutions HOB filter for mine, they are relatively cheap but still give the benefit of being outside of the tank, if you're set on an external and lily pipes, ps3steveo and Ian have got hydor primes and seem very happy with them, maybe you could look at one of those?

Primes are awesome, but what's the volume of your tank? As if it works out the 15w gives you high light you'll need more than just fish, plants and light. Oh and I wouldn't put any small species of shrimp with your Rams or they may end up a pricey lunch fir them. Let us know and we can get even more ideas for ya. Florabase is good too.

Most reactions

Back