Plants And Sand

FishyJames

Reaction score
So i want to change my 10 to a sand substrate, but i dont know what kind of plants can survive in sand.
Every LFS ive talked to said that you needed a medium size gravel substrate so the roots dont get crushed by the rocks.

so does anyone know what kind of plants can go into sand.
and has anyone posted a gravel to sand step by step thing?
maybe i should use the search function.....

anyway any advice is much appreciated =D
the prospective sand substrate 10 gallon houses a betta and two snails.

so does anyone know what kind of plants can go into sand.
and has anyone posted a gravel to sand step by step thing?
maybe i should use the search function.....

The simple answer is that all plants that go into the substrate can go into sand or gravel. simple as that. You will hear scaremonegering stories of compaction stopping the oxygen to the roots but look at all the sand users in the planted section and I think you can decide if this is fact or fiction.

As for how to do it:

Remove fish to a container
Remove plants to a container
Remove deco/hardscape
Remove decent quantity of tank water to a container
Scoop out old gravel
Thoroughly clean tank (good opportunity to do it)
Pour complete dirty contents of filter into the tank*
Put in sand (search for rinsing if you are bothered but I don't)
Add Hardscape/Deco
Fill 1 third of the tank with (some of) the old tank water
Plant up
Fill tank to top with remainder of old tank water and then new+dechlor
Turn on equipment again
Leave to get up to temp
Acclimatise fish and return them

*Adding the dirty content of the filter means that you give the substrate a kick start (referred to as seeding) as the mulm that is in the filter will give the substrate and instant source for bacteria to feed on.

Give yourself plenty of time to do the change too. I would suggest 1 hour for emptying the tank of everything. 1 hour for a thoroughly good clean. 1-2 hours for adding the substrate, water and getting the look right. However long it takes to get the water up to temp (I sometimes go to bed and return the fish in the morning)

Andy

my tank is sand and I've had no problem with most plants. I've grown a few species of sword from scratch (were grow emersed and lost all their leaves) crypts, vails and a few different stem plants. This is with pretty low lighting (about 1.5 WPG) and regular dosing of Kent plant ferts. I've found that root tabs help as well.

What sand substrate do you plan on using? I recommend Flourish Black Sand. Plants like Flourish substrate and the black sand makes your fish and plants look better.

thanks for the how too supercoley +D

and thanks to all of ya.
you guys have just pushed me far enough to no longer listen to my LFS's advice
thats like the 100th time they've told me somthing that wasnt completely true

i want to start a fish store and actually give out good information rather than just try to make money

I've had vals, crypts, hair grass, foxtail, camboba etc.. growing with no problem in my sand substrate, however I do use root tabs.

no they were telling me to use a medium sized gravel substrate because the sand would crush/suffocate the roots of the plants

=/

thats silly, sand wolnt suffocate plant roots :p ya this is why we have these forums - so we can help each other since the lfs usually dont/cant :good: i have a set up that's really similar to yours, its a ten gallon planted with sand and a betta :) its also a community tank right now too.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=245044

to help keep the sand loose you can put malaysian trumpet snails in there. iv got about 20, they roam around skimming just through the top of the sand and keep it nice and fluffy. your lfs should be able to give them away to you for free. iv also got a 4" banjo catfish that does a very nice job of stirring up the sand, since he's always burying himself and all. the banjo might not be the best choice though if you're wanting to keep it in there permanently since an adult banjo will get to 6" and need a 30" - 36" length tank minimum. he is one of my favorite fish however, and gets along fine with the betta. :good:

Most reactions

Back