Plants And Oscars! I Know Daring!

Sammi&RyanMitch92

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hey ya'll
  So 75g fish tank. Two tiger Oscars, and yes PLANTS!  I have ordered some swords and hair grass. I have read Oscars and notorious for ripping up plants and moving them across the tank. But! before there's a doubt lol I want to Plant the plants in mason jars, and cover the dirt with large pebbles that they cant move to get to the plant roots. Im  just looking for feed back on this idea. all plants will be potted. so no giant dirt floor on the bottom of the tank or anything....I am just experimenting to see what happens and wanna know what ya'll think.

I had a full planted set up with two tiger oscars, they were fine. The only plants they didnt like were ones like vallils, and the taller thinner variants of crypts. Anything flimsy that moves about in the flow a lot they'll get rid of, but you'll definitely be fine with the sword. Mine never touched it :) have fun and enjoy keeping them how they should be kept - in a natural environment!!! :D

Depends on the oscars, some will tolerate plants, others will not :) No harm in trying them out to find which personality you have

That hair grass is going to be a pain for sure.  Cichlids love digging it up.  I gave up on giving them plants lol.   I hope it works for you though...I would like to see Oscars in a nice planted tank.

post pictures when you have it set up, and if they go for it I wanna see before lol. just lets hope that they leave them alone!! 

BerryAttack said:
post pictures when you have it set up, and if they go for it I wanna see before lol. just lets hope that they leave them alone!! 
idk how to post pictures on here..every time  I try they are too big.. :/

Ryan10 said:
That hair grass is going to be a pain for sure.  Cichlids love digging it up.  I gave up on giving them plants lol.   I hope it works for you though...I would like to see Oscars in a nice planted tank.
With all the plants that im getting they will all be in some sort on container with large rocks on top that cant be picked up by the fish. :)

That's a good idea.  With your pics being too big.  I open them in the paint program on my computer and you can resize them from there. 

very nice, can see why you wanted to put plants in, now lets hope they don't go after them.. and if they don't you can start expanding and see how it goes :)

Most reactions

Back