Planted Tank Pictures Please! :d

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm working on putting some more plants in my tank and then growing it all out. I'm doing just the easier plants-I have anubias and java fern so far.  It's hard to see how it will look since the plants start so small...
tongue2.gif
Could you share some pics of your tanks?  

Here's my tank right now.  It's rather bare looking.
smile.png
 Should I add a little rock path or anything?  I'm trying to do this cheaply here.
smile.png

http://rs1283.pbsrc.com/albums/a542/Passamaquatty/image_zpse1ccf013.jpg~320x480

Thanks!
biggrin.png

I can do some of my older tanks I used to have. Sure :p

2014-01-25182950-2.jpg

20131004_141300.jpg

20130715_232458.jpg

20130329_171346.jpg

20130330_153812.jpg

Just a few I've done.

Wow! Very nice! :D  

If I were to get 1 or two more easy plants, what would you recommend?  Vals?  Crypts?  Dwarf sword? 

Any of those listed are easy plants, However valls don't like liquid CO2, Must keep a note of that. All swords and crypts are nice and easy. Of course with a low tech things take forever to grow :p

Java fern on wood is a must, Really nice plant and very easy going. Also anubias, Both need tied onto rocks or wood as there roots can't be blocked or panted! But again, Good low tech plants.

Because you have broad leaf plants in there now I would recommend contrasting with a bunch plant like Anacharis (it's on the back left of my tank)  I know it's a very common-or-garden plant, but it's cheap, super easy and a great filler. Even better than that it's a good oxygenator and because it's a fast grower it absorbed nitrates really well. I put this plant along with Bacopa (center background) in my tank when I first set it up for that very reason, and I've had no issues with nitrates from the very first day.

Because it grows fast you can stick the trimmings in the substrate and increase the forest pretty quickly at no extra cost, and if you get tired of it and want to replace it with a more choice plant when your budget allows, it can go in a real or makeshift pond in your yard.

Here's a picture of my tank. 

Attachments

• Bign Jan18.JPG
    Bign Jan18.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 64
Naw wood is cheap so long as you get it from the right place.

Where do you get yours? I'd like to get a number of small pieces but the only ones i've seen are $$$$$$$$$$. :p

DiddleBug said:
Isn't wood usually pretty costly?
Depends on your definition of costly but relatively speaking it's not too bad. The large Malaysian driftwood I have in the center of my tank (see pic below) was around $25 or $30 from my LFS. It's a fairly large piece so not too bad.

I have a lot of Java Fern and Anubias and both are doing well attached to rocks or wood. The Java has sprouted a lot of new growth in a relatively short period of time. As peegee stated anacharis is a great filler and very easy to propagate. I think Wisteria and Pennywort are also great plants that give a diverse look to the tank and are pretty easy and cheap.

Not from the US so I can't help you with wood!

How much do you think I would have to spend on bogwood for a 10 gallon? I'd like a few pieces.
Very nice tank pictures Alasse! You have quite the talent for scaping! :)

Nice!  what kind of plant is that in the left?  

On the left is hygrophila polysperma in the background with lobelia cardinalis and a couple of crypt species in front.

Most reactions

Back