Plant suggestion for a bald spot?

Jinx_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

This is how my tank currently looks like:

IMG_3511.jpeg

Behind the long leafed crypt, before the amazon sword.. There's a bald spot.

It just bothers me.

Is there a nice bushy kind of fast growing plant to fill it out? Should I just leave it as it is even if the baldness is hurting me?

Or is just there a different way I could set my plants up?

I was thinking a hygrophila of some kind?
polysperma would be a good shout. It's easy to grow, and not much attention is needed. Or to save money just use trimmings of existing plants. Limnophila sessiliflora ambulia in my 60L has now migrated to my 90L because of growth speed and its helpfulness in adding to the existing filtration 😄

Hornwort could be an option as well or even a Rotala species, forgot to mention
Rotala H'ra could add a pinky/red section to the tank when given enough light

An itsy bitsy pinto anubia. of course a lot depends on your water chemistry. After all what we put in hard water isn't the same as what we would plant in soft water.

I’ve had both and are great plants I did find the Siamensis did grow a lot slower compared the polysperma but maybe that was my substrate 🤷‍♂️

I’ve had both and are great plants I did find the Siamensis did grow a lot slower compared the polysperma but maybe that was my substrate 🤷‍♂️
Most plants I got turned out to do just as bad as I do in life, they melted :)

same here 😄 although the main cause for me was that they were in emersed form..
I just suck at keeping plants. I kill them. It's a house plant, but that thing went easily 4 months without being watered. It still was full of water, green and happy. My aquarium plants? Most have stalled, died off, melted, or just disappeared all of a sudden. I managed to kill of duckweed as well. Or when I trimmed them, they stopped growing.

It's why I dose ferts from now on.

I just suck at keeping plants. I kill them. It's a house plant, but that thing went easily 4 months without being watered. It still was full of water, green and happy. My aquarium plants? Most have stalled, died off, melted, or just disappeared all of a sudden.
I've found since I started keeping planted tanks it's a game of trial and error. Ive had many species work and many fail badly. Over the last 3-4 years I found crypts, ephyites, and quick-growing stems do the best in my tanks. I've spent an ungodly amount of money on plants, testing to see what works and what doesn't.

There are many possibilities for what could cause that :confused:. I wonder if you had bought plants that were grown in emersed form? A bad melt can be caused by the plant's transition into a submerged form. That's something I'm dealing with atm..
I managed to kill of duckweed as well
A skill many dream of acquiring 😄

Most reactions

Back