Plant Substrates

AquaJason

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi can any one tell me the names of any plants that are great for covering the bottom of the tank, as a substrate. After watching a few videos on utube their tropical tanks are covered at the bottom in a plant that appears to look like grass.

I like the natural look, any suggestions please?

The most likely plant you have seen is either Java Moss or Pygmy Chain Sword.

The most likely plant you have seen is either Java Moss or Pygmy Chain Sword.

Cheers,they look exactly like thee ones I have been seeing :)If i decided to grow a carpet of java moss would I still be able to clean the gravel with a gravel pump/filter? Or will it destroy the plant material?

I'm not too sure about cleaning the substrate below the plant however grasses and mosses should be vacuumed often to remove any dirt that has accumulated. This enhances the plants growth by allowing it to photosynthesise easier and more efficiently.

Generally in planted tanks we want good flow and circulation. This helps distribute nutrients and CO2 to all the plants at a good enough rate so that the plants dont starve. This flow also helps suck up any floating detritus in the water and prevent it from settleing on the substrate. As a result, you dont really need to gravel vac. Maybe just an occasional hoover to stir up any detritus that has managed to settle.
Detritus also leaches ammonia which promotes algae spores to bloom.
Oh, and the plant you could be seeing is Hairgrass.

Generally in planted tanks we want good flow and circulation. This helps distribute nutrients and CO2 to all the plants at a good enough rate so that the plants dont starve. This flow also helps suck up any floating detritus in the water and prevent it from settleing on the substrate. As a result, you dont really need to gravel vac. Maybe just an occasional hoover to stir up any detritus that has managed to settle.

Cheers, :D

Will my lfs sell these?

Most reactions

Back