Plant Recommendations

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elly

Reaction score
I've decided after spending about 3 hours cleaning dead plant mess out of my tank that, when I set it up with new plants soon, I'm only going to go for about 6 different types to save myself the stress of having to rearrange every single plant every time I want to gravel vac.

I'm going to use substrate fertiliser, CO2 and Seachem Flourish liquid fertiliser and I have 75W of light on my Juwel 180, which I think should be enough. I was thinking of hygrophilia polysperma and vallis, but can anyone recommend any other good plants? I'm going to go for about 3-4 species of background plants, and a couple of species of foreground, maybe amazon swords. Any ideas? Something that grows fairly fast to keep algae away would be good.

I've decided after spending about 3 hours cleaning dead plant mess out of my tank that, when I set it up with new plants soon, I'm only going to go for about 6 different types to save myself the stress of having to rearrange every single plant every time I want to gravel vac.

I'm going to use substrate fertiliser, CO2 and Seachem Flourish liquid fertiliser and I have 75W of light on my Juwel 180, which I think should be enough. I was thinking of hygrophilia polysperma and vallis, but can anyone recommend any other good plants? I'm going to go for about 3-4 species of background plants, and a couple of species of foreground, maybe amazon swords. Any ideas? Something that grows fairly fast to keep algae away would be good.

Gravel cleaning in a good planted tank is only needed where the plants arent and where its just open gravel. So you wont have to take out your plants.

Heres a list of plant species from the algae pinned article

Hygrophila species
Ludwigia species
Rotala species
Egeria species
Brazilian Water Ivy
Small Ambulia
Mexican Oak Leaf
Water Sprite
Hornwort

hello

get the amazon swords

they have huge root systems and would feed off of wast in the gravel fast

plus i found them to be a easy plant to keep

all you have to do is just cut the lower leaves once in a while in order to keep it looking good and healthy

*hy ploysperma is a great plant also*

hello

get the amazon swords

they have huge root systems and would feed off of wast in the gravel fast

plus i found them to be a easy plant to keep

all you have to do is just cut the lower leaves once in a while in order to keep it looking good and healthy

*hy ploysperma is a great plant also*

For your lower lighting, you may want to try a java fern (Microsorum pteropus) for the background and some anubias species in the foreground-midground. You might also want to look into some crypt species.

Most reactions

Back