Plant Only Tank

catfish4ever

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a spare 54litre sitting around, I only want low tech plants in it

Is it possible for me to add a mature filter and just add plants? I don't want fish, just plants

I don't think you need a cycled filter just for plants but yes you certainly can have a plant only tank. I would think you'd need to add ferts though?

I agree with Nin, it's usually the fish waste that provide nutrients for even low tech plants.

What about shrimps and plants? They'll keep micro algea from growing and they don't add all that much waste to the system.

Stares at Mamashack's signature.

As above , but I've seen some very attractive algae eating snails, they won't bother your plants, and again will keep any possible algae in check.

So I can just add root tabs and fertiliser every now and then? Bear in mind this is for low tech also do I need light?
elmo666 said:
As above , but I've seen some very attractive algae eating snails, they won't bother your plants, and again will keep any possible algae in check.

DreamertK said:
What about shrimps and plants? They'll keep micro algea from growing and they don't add all that much waste to the system.

Mamashack said:
I agree with Nin, it's usually the fish waste that provide nutrients for even low tech plants.

Ninjouzata said:
I don't think you need a cycled filter just for plants but yes you certainly can have a plant only tank. I would think you'd need to add ferts though?
Also can someone recommend a good substrate for the plants? Dirt? His do I get dirt? Any others?

DreamertK said:

I believe catfish said no fish only plants so I was going with that.
Not my place to try to persuade someone to do the opposite of what they want if it's not harming anything.

Low tech tanks you should still have a light at the very least for viewing purposes, maybe 15 watts, they're not very expensive compared to T5/T8 light fixtures. LED would be OK.  With low tech, you cross the line into high tech when you start adding ferts and additional lighting and CO2. It's a web where you have to balance all three elements, and if one is too high/low then algea will grow or the plants will die. Usually people who don't do anything except WC's are considered low tech, though you can add ferts still and nobody's going to say boo. It's your tank after all. You ultimately make all the decisions.

Shrimps and snails are a completely different phylum than fish though!

Depends on the width of your tank. Florescent or LED, most LFS have all kinds. Try for around 15 watts, or if you go expensive go for 6700k bulbs.

for substrate iv used john innes no 3 with a sand cap, it works well for me, as for a low tech tank you wont need a filter for the plants but you might need a power head to keep the water moving, planted tanks should have a 10x turn over /H  or more, this carry s the ferts around and removes the waste from the plants to other parts of the water (basically).... as for water changes if you have a high plant and very low stock ratio you can (i bet get shunned a lot for this) cut back a lot on the water changes.  

Most reactions

Back