Plant Id Help!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Can help me identify what plant is this?

Tks in advance!
CAM00891-1.jpg

CAM00905-1.jpg

It's Selaginella willdenowii, commonly called 'umbrella plant' or 'peacock fern'.

It's not a true aquatic and will not survive in an aquarium.

It looks a wee bit like Hottonia palustris, but, I'm not convinced that's what it is...I'll keep looking!

Ah, well done flutter, it does look awfully like a terrestrial fern plant. 

First impression was it was Bolbitis heudelotii but looking up Selaginella willdenowii, I'm now not sure.

I've got Bolbitus (isn't that a horrible name? Sounds like a disease!) and it's definitely not that.

fluttermoth said:
It's Selaginella willdenowii, commonly called 'umbrella plant' or 'peacock fern'.It's not a true aquatic and will not survive in an aquarium.
fm1978 said:
It looks a wee bit like Hottonia palustris, but, I'm not convinced that's what it is...I'll keep looking!
Ah, well done flutter, it does look awfully like a terrestrial fern plant.
Lateral Line said:
First impression was it was Bolbitis heudelotii but looking up Selaginella willdenowii, I'm now not sure.
Tks guys for the replies!

Oh my.. since its not a true aquatic plan, I have to make plan B into action!

Bolbitus does look very similar and is an easy plant to look after.

daizeUK said:
So is it Bolbitus or Selaginella?

Even if its Selaginella, do i have to remove it straightaway? Coz i dont want it to affect my betta and shrimps..

I think daize meant you could replace the plant you have, which is Selaginella, with Bolbitus and get a similar effect
smile.png

I would take it out, tbh. It might take a while to break down and produce any ammonia but as you have shrimps, which are very sensitive, better to be on the safe side and take it out now.

Shame, as you've made a really nice scape with it too
sad.png

daizeUK said:
Ouh.. tks Daize! :)

fluttermoth said:
I think daize meant you could replace the plant you have, which is Selaginella, with Bolbitus and get a similar effect :)I would take it out, tbh. It might take a while to break down and produce any ammonia but as you have shrimps, which are very sensitive, better to be on the safe side and take it out now.Shame, as you've made a really nice scape with it too :(
I wil try look for something.. Haizz.. How could they sell such plants as aquatic! Very unsafe! Well.. another round of plant search...

Most reactions

Back