Place Your Bets

Thanks! I have 6 healthy cories in total. All six have been released into my little 18" tank that housed my baby tetra until a few days ago. I set this tank up with some substrate and some rocks for the tetra and I did wonder about stripping the substrate out for the cories but in the end I decided that the substrate will have lots of microscopic stuff living in it that the newly hatched cories will eat and decided against it. After-all I have 2 panda cories that raised themselves in my main tank with no help from me and so I'm going to treat this newly hatched batch in the same way. 

For now, they will find food. There's java moss in the tank and a moss ball and there is the sponge filter too. We shall see how many out of the six survive. The downside of having the substrate is that I can't watch them grow for at least the first month. I also can't keep an eye on them for any that don't make it and remove them 

I'll keep you all updated :)

I think I know the answer to this but I'm just checking ... I have the very first signs of some planaria in this tank, will they harm the cory fry? 

I've been in with a pipette and sucked up the one's I can see so hopefully I've got them all but only time will tell

So excited for you!! Unfortunately, I have no idea as to the answer of your question! But, I have a question for you...how old do cories need to be before they will start spawning??

that is a difficult question to answer Jag, mostly because we don't really know their age when we buy them which makes it difficult. I think the best answer I can give you would be around 6 months plus.

just seen one tiny baby. It's white so it's either panda or melini. It's also doubled in size already! At least one has survived anyway ... lol

Spot the cory!

001_zpstyzaa12j.jpg

sad news. I found 4 babies dead this morning. One isn't looking great but one is still looking good. I think the problem is down to them finding food

I'll keep you posted with how the other two go. I think I'll be down to one by tomorrow though

Food is a tricky thing in a separate tank.  Having java moss and leaf litter in the tank are the best options, IMHO for giving the fish something to graze on as youngsters...  Short of that, you are left trying to raise your own daphnia, brine shrimp, etc.

it is incredibly difficult Eagles ... I've been here so many times now. I don't like liquifry as it can mess up the water and they're too young for baby food just yet and so I'm relying on them finding infusoria on the moss ball, java moss clump and sponge filter. Because the eggs were a surprise I didn't have any leaf litter in and it's a bit late now.
Now Autumn is here I can go leaf collecting again and that's what I plan to do this weekend. I know of an oak tree that is well away from the road and any polution. I've used it before and so I'll go and pay it a visit and see if it will provide again.

I do currently have another female panda that's being pursued by a male. At the moment he's not doing what I call 'the waggle dance' (where the male wiggles himself in front of the females face to invite spawning) but I'm watching them closely.

I've moved the remaining babies today. I've brought in my other small tank that is seperated into two compartments. The babies are in the smaller compartment which means that the larger side is empty. I'm wondering about seeing if I can catch a female panda and a couple of males and put them in this small tank. If that were possible she'd lay the eggs away from the hovering tetra's and I'd potentially get a better yield of eggs. The only thing would be that moving them would stress them and possibly stop them from wanting to spawn. It's difficult to know what to do 

Oh, I fully understand the issues with raising fry, especially when its unexpected.  In my own case, that's why I've taken to the course of 'no action' taken.  There is likely more infusoria in my main tank than I would have available in a 'nursery' tank.  All the elements they need are there and ready for them as they need.  And if they are good at hiding while they are seeking the food they need... then they have a decent shot at survival.  If they aren't, then I don't have to worry about the tank getting overcrowded.  

I was breeding this lot for my lfs. I've let them know now that it's a non starter this time
sad.png

Akasha72 said:
I was breeding this lot for my lfs. I've let them know now that it's a non starter this time
sad.png

I'd keep the nursery tank going though... and get some leaves ;)   These cories will likely be at it again soon enough.  And a nice cool water change wouldn't hurt, especially if you can time it with a low pressure system coming through your area.  

there is still one baby looking okay. It's swimming round at the moment and it seems to be healthy. I've just tried to get a photo of it but it's too small and the tank too dark (this tank has no lighting system)

I'll get some leaves at the weekend and if the baby is still alive I'll add one to it's compartment.

We are due a low pressure system coming through tonight/tomorrow morning. I'm watching the panda's but they're quiet tonight. For some reason the panda's like to spawn in the night and if I'm going to get eggs from them I'll wake up to them. The problem is getting the eggs collected before my tetra's get to eat them, this is why I'm considering trying to catch them and get them into the 'nursery' tank in the empty compartment just for them to lay eggs and then put them back in the main tank ... problem is catching them!

baby number 5 now dead and I can't see number 6 ... too scared to go looking for it too. Meh 
no.gif

Most reactions

Back