Pistol Shrimp

garry_boyd3

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, my pistol shrimp & goby pair has been doing great. However got home today & grommit (the shrimp) is on the sand with his back legs twirling around with the goby watching over him. The front part does not seem to be moving. The goby seems sadder than usual. Any advice appreciated....

Hopefully he may just be moulting....are there other crabs or shrimps in your set up..if they are ok then you know it's not due to chemicals such as copper having gotten into your system...

Fingers crossed for you mate....these guys need slow introductions as can be very sensitive to changes in water parameters. Check out the link to the pistol video b4 putting your hands in near him though,lol...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uNUDtLCxj0

Wow, there goes my finger :rolleyes: Imagine explaining that at work... Well there goes a good night sleep. I will most porbs be up & down all night. I was going to do a water change but will wait till tomorrow now. :crazy:

Wouldn't be my first time to panic seeing this,lol...having kept numerous crustaceans, scorpions and spiders over the last too many years I still get those heart in mouth moments when i see one on it's back out of the corner of my eye...Hopefully in a couple of hours he will wiggle out of the old skin...normally happens at night or in their burrows but as we all find out in this game...no one told them the rules,lol.............

I may see if I can put my video camera on it, its got a 3 hrs battery & 16hrs recording. Hopefully see it coming out of its shell, well heres hoping...

They form symbiotic pairs...the shrimp provides a home and protection in the burrow...the goby does look out duties, helps with tunnel building and often takes food to the shrimp...........amazing to watch when settled in..check the link above...some goby/pistol vids on there too ao the right hand side!!!!

Im only getting peppermint shrimp & scarlet shrimp, else I would of gone for a pair.
But I think I heard pistol shrimp can annoy corals.

YF

Hi, went down stair about 2 this morning & unfortunetly Grommit has passed away :sad:

After tomorrow I will work on getting the level 100% let them settle for a month & then I may look into a new Shrimp to go with wallace.

Gutted...

Sorry to hear that Gary. Your calcium level was very low from using Sea Salt instead of Reef Salt. It is likely that there was a shortage of calcium and that is needed by shrimps for moulting aswell as corals.

May well have caused him to not have sufficient calcium to complete the shed properley.

Sorry about that.

Im abit confused, what do the goby and shrimp do together?
Sorry to hijack.

YF

The shrimp builds the burrow by moving sand around and the goby alerts the nearly blind shrimp to danger. He only leaves the burrow to push sand out and he doesn't go more than an inch or so away from it. Here ya go.

100_6814.jpg

100_6816.jpg

Sorry to hear about your shrimp :sad: I would be gutted if I lost mine.

Most reactions

Back