Piranha Keeping 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMS

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Piranha Keeping 101

Before we get things started, I would like to offer some advice to anyone interested in keeping piranhas. Piranhas are living creatures, not flesh eating beasts eating feeder goldfish to show off to friends. Treat them the same as you would any other fish (or pet for that matter). If you plan to provide then best possible environment for them suggested by TFF or any other place than go right ahead and buy one after throughly researching, if not, then fish, espically piranhas are not for you.

What is a Piranha?
A piranha is a fish native to South America belonging to the Characidae family. Piranhas are close relatives to many common fish in the aqaurium trade such as silver dollars and pacus. Piranhas are highly predatory fish by nature, and are armed with razor sharp teeth. Piranhas are known as "aquatic wolves" as they eat just about any thing that would make an easy snack, wheter it be a fish, reptile, bird, cattle, or worse, human. In the wild piranha attacks on humans are rare, but many have been proved deadly. I hope now you understand the seriousness of of owning a piranha and the possible risks involved.

Can I keep a Piranha?
First this depends on where you live. They are illegal in most states, so check your fish and game laws of your state or country. Second, this depends on your aquarium. Aside from the wimple piranha (not actually a piranha due to the teeth alignment), ALL of the smallest species of adults will require a MINIMUM aquarium size of 75 US gallons. So if you cant provide a minimum of a 75 US gallon tank, sorry no piranhas for you. Piranhas vary greatly in size, so research greatly on the particular species and their tank size needs. Third, this depends on who taking care of the piranhas and who may come in contact with the piranha tank. If you feel as though you are responsible enough for a piranha, be my guest. If not try an alternative (see Piranhas Alternatives below). Be sure you do not have anyone that will come in contact with the tank that may fool around. Kids are not really a good choice, or immature teens that will shove their hands in there with a tough guy attitude. Like I've said before, piranhas have razor sharp teeth, and if one were to get a good bite on someone the results would be devastating. I cant even imagine what would happen to a young child. I have never been bitten by a piranha and I hope to keep it that way. So please, consider all possibilites before buying a piranha.

How do I take care of my Piranha?
All piranhas do not come from the same environment as others (though similar), so slightly different measures are taken when caring for your particular species. Piranhas are a quite hardy species of fish. Heres a rough guide of what the tank chemistry preferred by Piranhas: Piranhas prefer warmer waters around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, fast flowing waters, dim lighting, planted aquaria, high oxygen levels, slightly acdic pH, and I can safely say ALL piranhas need great filtration as they have huge messy appetites! Frequent small water changes are also needed. As I said before, not all Piranhas require the suggested tank chemistry as I listed, so READ, READ, and READ some more about what needs your particular species requires.

What can I keep with Piranhas?
This is a touchy subject....In my opinion, (and most other's) I can say that there shouldnt be any tankmates with any piranha species with the exception of a shoaling species like the red bellies. It's true that some species for example Serrasalmus Geryi that could be possibly housed with other Serrasalmus Geryi provided there is ample amount of territory space and hiding places. Be aware that if one is showing signs of injury of disease, it may be picked on, bitten, or worse, eaten. Its also true that some very large piranhas will live with small fish such as neon tetras and guppies with no deaths, but for the most part this is just temporarily. When the piranha gets hungry, it will find the small fish an easy snack. And finally its also true that things like plecos can live with piranhas, but will live a fin-nipped scared life.
So bottom line, its really not the best idea to house piranhas with tankmates, including plecos because even IF they survive they will be constantly nipped and bitten. The only exception for having tankmates is with a shoaling species like red bellies. If you ask me, its abuse to house piranhas with tankmates of different species of piranha or fish in general, and in most instances it will end in death.

Feeding
First off, Piranhas can not live a full healthy life on a diet of goldfish! Feeder fish can be used occassionally, and only when properly quarantined and disease free. Meat foods/mammalian meat such as beef heart, raw chicken (free of fat, boneless and skinless) pinkeys (baby mice) and raw fish used for human consumption (use only white meat fish such as talipia, pink or red fleshed fish are not good at all) should be fed only once in a great while. Mammalian meats due naturally make up a very small portion of piranhas diets, but they dont even need to be incorporated into the captive specimen's diet at all. The only things listed as "once in a great while" foods that I feed my own piranhas are beefheart. I refuse to incorporate fish used for human consumption as I can easily find frozen fish such as silversides or lancefish specifically for carnivorus fish readily and at a good price, they also wont make a mess of the tank like human consumption fish will. Piranhas should be fed a varied diet of meaty foods. The majority of all Piranhas diet should be fish. Different species of piranhas have different eating habits, so this list shouldnt be used as a rule of thumb but rather suggestion as what to feed (aside from other fish): Carnivore sticks/pellets, earthworms, shrimp, squid, bloodworm, krill, mysis shrimp, cichlid pellets, tubifex worms, crickets, along with other similar foods. Note that the aforementioned list of food can be fed in live form as long as they are free of disease and parasites. Also realize that if any fish is fed livefoods too often they may become only accustomed to eating livefoods only (espically piranhas) and refuse to eat frozen/freeze dried foods. Many piranhas are fed feeder goldfish in LFS's so be aware that you may have to convert them to frozen/freeze dried foods when purchased.

Piranha Alternatives
For whatever reasons you cant properly house piranhas, dont worry! There are many similar alternatives to Piranhas! Heres a list:
Silver Dollars
Red Hook Silver Dollars
Black Bar Silver Dollars
(Any Silver Dollar species actually)
Exodons (aka buck toothed tetra)
Pacus
Wimple Piranha (not an actual piranha)
Barracudas
Pike Top Minnow (aka Pike Livebearer)
Silver Needlefish

Mod. Comment: I hope this thread will help to educate those that are considering keeping piranha and I encourage AMS to keep up the good work. I don't want to put this line in, but, if there are any posts that arise here that are abusive, gory, frightening or inhumane, these will be deleted immediately. SH

WOW that is some usefull information and i think it will help alot of people decide wether or not pirahnas are a suitable pet for them, well done AMS

Lucifer xx :thumbs:

Please any feel free to critcize anything, grammar/spelling mistakes, anything else that should be covered, ect etc.

EDIT: Honestly I dont mind a bit of constructive criticizim, so poke away at anything you want!

It's a great article by the way, congrats! Nothing to criticise!

i was going to get piranhas for my big tank but decided otherwise, if i was still going to, that information would have been so helpfull, and even though ihave the tank full and dont intend to get them, reading that was very interesting and you can tell you really do know what you are talking about.
sounds like a section from a fishkeeping book :)
nice job its an exelent article :D

looks like a well written article, deserving of pinning here.

AMS....I read your article and found it to be well thought out and well presented. There has been a void at TFF with regards to piranha, and I think that this is mainly because of the way these animals have been treated and abused, especially on other websites. I also think that there is a lack of understanding of the appropriate care of these animals. However, in states that permit them, these fish are legal to own and they ARE Characidae. Many species of piranha are kept safely and humanely by many aquarists. In fact, many create biotope tanks around them.

I hope this thread will continue to educate those that keep piranha and I encourage AMS to keep up the good work. I don't want to put this line in, but, if there are any posts that arise here that are abusive, gory, frightening or inhumane, these will be deleted immediately. SH

Thank you very much steelhealr. I know exactly what you mean by "gory" posts by many Piranha owners. Ive seen countless cut lips (cut lips are common among LFS's dealing with piranha, the lips are cut to expose the teeth luring newbs in to this "monster") live pinkey eating videos :crazy: , and many other gruesome things. As SH as said, these are very misunderstood and too many abusive owners. Though like he has said, there are many good ones.

one of my lfs' has a small tank of 2 inchers for £4 each, and they can't of been fed properly because they are ALL nibbled and bitten, they look aweful! no wonder no-one has bought them.
poor fish :( if i had money and a tank i would take them all and create the perfect environment for them and feed them properly and try to bring them to health, because face it eventually they will all be eaten by eachover,
this fish store isnt too great anyway, when i was interested in a nandus nandus, they scooped a poor baby rainbowfish from a neighbor tank and put it in to " show me how cool it was when tehy swallow prey ".
it was cool in a way, but like healr said, its inhumane and i would rather of not seen it. :-(

I have 3 of them in a 140 gallon, so actually they were $750 but I bought the first one long before I bought the pair.

i agree totally with you, when we bought our pirahnas, we were given the correct information about them, but 3 weeks later we walk into another lfs and they were keeping 8 red bellies in the tinest tank i have ever seen, one had a very big cut the the top of its body it was absolutley awful, if it wasnt so badly injured we would have taken it home, but no doubt it prob would have died on the journey home! poor thing. They are beautiful creatures to own and have lots of character, i would never let mine go to any harm or distress.

but if any one is thinking of getting any, think carefully as some species get very large, i know mine are in a 100 g tank and no doubt within six months we prob need an even larger one!

keep up the good work AMS

Lucifer x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back