Pink Spot On Plec's Nose

sirichmond

Reaction score
Hello,

Just noticed this evening that right on the end of our Gold Nugget Plec's nose there is a pink spot, he seems fine and is behaving normally and no other markings oh him. Could this be an infection or just a scrape from fighting over algae wafers with the other fish in the tank?. He is the only Plec in the tank but the Mollys and Platys like algae wafers too. The only changes to the tank are some salt added during water change today and we are treating the tank as a few fish have whitespot with Interpet Anti Whitespot, treatment only started today. The pink spot is slightly raised too hope you can see from the picture.

Cheers

2733248456_4be987e912_o.jpg

If you can get hold of some melafix thats ok to use with whitespot treatment, looks like he's had a arguement with an ornament or some gravel, providing it doesnt become infected, it should heal on its own, keep an eye on it.

How are your water stats, assuming they are ok, then regular water changes (after treatments for whitespot have finished) should also help to heal it up :good:

Thats great thanks, we have some melafix so will use it.

water is fine change it 1/2 times a week

Ammonia is 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10

Many thanks

Do not quote me on this as I am by far an expert, but I had read somewhere that plecs do not tolerate salt well.

If the salt level is high, it maybe irritating the plec, causing him to rub against things? Just my thought though, I am sure someone with more experience might clarify?

Debbie

We are only putting half the salt in that you should for the tank size due to the plec, told by LFS this will be ok and not harm him. If someone could clarify though that would be great.

Cheers

WHEN U R READING THIS DONT STOP OR SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN! MY NAME IS SUMMER I AM 15 YEARS OLD i have BLONDER HAIR ,MANY SCARS no NOSE OR EARS.. I AM DEAD. IF U DONT COPY THIS JUST LIKE FROM THE RING, COPY N POST THIS ON 5 MORE SITES.. OR.. I WILL APPEAR ON DARK QUIET NIGHT WHEN UR NOT ExPECTING IT BY YOUR BED WITH A KNIFE AND KILL U. THIS IS NO JOKE SOMETHING GOOD WILL HAPPEN IF U POST THIS ON 5 MORE PAGES

Could a mod please remove the ridiculous post above - thanks.

Sirichmond: You do not need to add salt, unless you have any brackish fish. The plec will not like the salt and yes it could be causing his bashing himself on things to try to rub himself of the salt as it is irritating to him :good:

Do a 50% water changes, just add dechlor and see how it goes. No more salt.

ok thats great thank you, not sure if we have brackish fish we are pretty nwe to the hobby!! we added some as the LRS said it aids treating poorley fish?

We have 3 Rainbows, some mollys, neons, rummy nose and plattys oh and of course Mr pleco :lol:

ditto on the post above yours minxyfish.
cheers

Most reactions

Back