Pictus Catfishes.

Rhykiru

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering, what is the minimum tank size that a pictus catfish can have? i understand that they can grow 4-6 inches from some websites i read (including this).

Will 3 pictus catfishes fit confortably in a 20 gallon long tank with sand substrate and no other bottom dwellers so they have the whole floor to themselves?.

~thanks

Hi, i was wondering, what is the minimum tank size that a pictus catfish can have? i understand that they can grow 4-6 inches from some websites i read (including this).

Will 3 pictus catfishes fit confortably in a 20 gallon long tank with sand substrate and no other bottom dwellers so they have the whole floor to themselves?.

~thanks

most pictus cats ive seen dont really stay on the bottom of the tank, they are very active. personally i wouldnt put them in a tank that size.

hm, ok. Also are they good jumpers that would jump if i dont have acover?

how about a 30 gallon tank then. and does anyone know how big a 30 gallon long is?

well they're pretty active fish so chances of them jumping would be probable.
i have one, at the moment, in a 30 gallon tank and he seems fine :good:

30 gallons is probably gonna be 30" long... more or less

This was basically what I first asked when I came to this forum, can they fit in my proposed tank.
Anyway, back on track, it wouldnt really be big enough. They are (as Im sure youve seen at the LFS) that they are very very active fish. A 55g or 40 long would be best, but in that size tank you could easily keep a group and have other tankmates too. There are lots of catfish options for a 20g though, so youre not stumped here.

Most reactions

Back