Pictus Catfish Caught in Net

fisheez

Reaction score
So I was trying to transfer over a Pleco into a smaller tank because my big pleco was picking on him when i accidentally snagged my catfish in the net and he was caught in there really good and i had to get scissors to free him. Took awhile but i got him out and then i had to get the rest of the net off of his pectoral fin. Now I have a problem because his fin is separated from the hard section from all the thrashing around in the net. Also it looks as if that hard section is stuck out now while the other fin is able to go against his body almost.
Poor guy :(
20200515_094802.jpg
20200515_094659.jpg

It looks rather painful. Do some big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to help reduce disease organisms in the water and to help the fish heal faster.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Keep salt in there for 2 weeks.
If you do water changes while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) in the tank remains stable.

As long as it doesn't get infected it should heal over the next month. I don't know if the other fin rays will rejoin the major fin ray.

im not sure if it will connect because the major fin ray is stuck forward. He can't move it back like his other side

Well it took awhile for him to regrow his fin but he did. After the stuck out piece returned to its normal position he was able to start slowly mending and regrowing.

Attachments

• 20200723_050025.jpg
    20200723_050025.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 54

Most reactions

Back