Pictures Of My Rainbow Crab!

Ricky

Reaction score
A few pictures of my rainbow crab, hes kept in standard fresh water, a heat mat used to maintain a temperature of 22*c, sand is used as substrate, and bogwood so he can easily get out of the water and he can eat food more easily above the surface on the bogwood. He eats pretty much anything you give him, grapes, cucumber, flakes, frozen and live food.

Had him for almost a year, i think hes almost 2 yrs old.

Any other questions feel free to ask. :D

DSC03538.jpg

DSC03535.jpg

WOW! Don't know anything about crabs but he looks awesome!! Guess he has to be kept on his own? How big is he? Can't really tell from the pics.

WOW! Don't know anything about crabs but he looks awesome!! Guess he has to be kept on his own? How big is he? Can't really tell from the pics.

Hes about 2 and a half inches wide (just his actual body), with his legs spread, hes about 5 inches wide... his pincers can fit around my finger pretty tightly, yeh, my finger haha - doesnt hurt, and its the easiest way to get him out the tank, just put my finger in there
let him grab it, support his legs and lift him out, hes kept in his own tank yeh, no other living creatures in it, they wouldnt be living for very long if i did put anything in there lol.

Yep upto 20cm sounds right, they eat anything from flakes, to frozen, to live food, veg, meat etc.. so yeh, everything, mine even eats small bits of bread sticks!!

Ricky could you post some pics of your whole tank? i'm supposed to be sorting a crab lodge for my wife, so am interested in tanks that really work, as opposed to the theory tanks you see in diy sections

Ricky could you post some pics of your whole tank? i'm supposed to be sorting a crab lodge for my wife, so am interested in tanks that really work, as opposed to the theory tanks you see in diy sections

I can do, but for what purpose, its just a custom built glass tank, 2 inches of sand substrate (they like to dig/burrow), some bog wood to allow them to easily get out of water, they also like moving the bogwood and also hide under it, realistically, theres no point putting live or plastic plants in, they will get broken apart by the crab, so theres no point putting decor and plants in there to make it look nice, they are very jumpy creatures and dont like fast movements, so the tank should be placed some where, where motion is limited, as they will crap it, and jump out of fright which can cause injuries....

Still want a pic? lol i dont mind

I can do, but for what purpose, its just a custom built glass tank, 2 inches of sand substrate (they like to dig/burrow), some bog wood to allow them to easily get out of water, they also like moving the bogwood and also hide under it, realistically, theres no point putting live or plastic plants in, they will get broken apart by the crab, so theres no point putting decor and plants in there to make it look nice, they are very jumpy creatures and dont like fast movements, so the tank should be placed some where, where motion is limited, as they will crap it, and jump out of fright which can cause injuries....

lol yes please, its often the little things you see, that can complete your quest.

lol yes please, its often the little things you see, that can complete your quest.

Had to use flash... as you can see, the heat causes condensation, its best to use a heat mat rather then an under water heater, it just seemd to evaperate the water very rapidly, and if it gets to low and your not around, BANG! which could be dead crab, and no house lol so a heat mat is the way to go!

Ps, see the sand has been pushed up towards the bogwood at the front of the tank, i changed the water and sand yesterday, it gets filthy, so hes not done much sand constructing, but he always seems to put things in certain places - changes all the time, he will put them back if you move them, so once again dont try to contruct a nice looking tank lol :p

DSC03636.jpg

the crab looks great so bright and vibrant...

its awesome do you have any other fish in there..??

Bye :good:

Nope, he would eat them or atleast kill them straight away, hes completely on his own. :crazy:

Hes cool to watch though. :good:

Most reactions

Back