Phosphates too high?

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve just tested my phosphates for the first time as I’m starting to get an algae buildup on plants and rock. It was reading about 3.0ppm. Is this the reason for the algae growth and if so what can I do to combat it?

I’ve just checked my tap water and I’m getting the same reading so it’s my house water what’s the problem. Any suggestions as to what I can use to reduce phosphates in the tank?

There are filter media that remove phosphates in marine tanks. They go inside a power filter and remove phosphates from water.

You can get a reverse osmosis (R/O) unit and that will remove phosphates.

You can grow lots of floating plants in the tank and they will use the phosphates.

There are filter media that remove phosphates in marine tanks. They go inside a power filter and remove phosphates from water.

You can get a reverse osmosis (R/O) unit and that will remove phosphates.

You can grow lots of floating plants in the tank and they will use the phosphates.

Thanks Colin, what floating plants would you recommend. I have an external filter so was thinking about buying the phosphate pads, cut them to size and slot them in.

Duckweed and Water Sprite are 2 of the easiest floating plants to grow and they take up a lot of nutrients. You can chuck the surplus plants on the garden as a mulch or give/ sell them to other people.

You can use phosphate pads or things like phosphosorb in the filter. They all do the same thing.

Some floating plants will work in high flow, I've seen a few tanks where people have used a ring of airline to either enclose the floating plants, creating like an island. Or doing the opposite where the inside of the ring is clear water and all around it has plants.

Wills

Most reactions

Back