Ph With Blue Ram

MrMagoo

Reaction score
I will be getting a 75 gallon but I want to see how things are on a smaller scale. I have a blue ram that I want to center the tank around but I need low PH. Where I live its really really high. Almost off the scale high. So I have some PH up and PH down. I put in my first dose in and waited the 24 hours. I need to do a water change soon but my question is how soon is too soon. I have been told to go to 48 hours with the PH down but the bottle says 24 hours. I am kinda lost here. Any help would be good. Thanks.

How high is off the scale - because that could be pretty high!? The pH buffers generally do more harm than any good. The best way to bring your pH down is to filter some peat moss or put some bogwood in your tank. How big is your tank just now. Bear in mind most fish can survive outwith their specified pH, as long as it is stable and not always changing. Of course thats all relative and if your pH is off the scale then that might be out of the question.

HTH :good:

How high is off the scale - because that could be pretty high!? The pH buffers generally do more harm than any good. The best way to bring your pH down is to filter some peat moss or put some bogwood in your tank. How big is your tank just now. Bear in mind most fish can survive outwith their specified pH, as long as it is stable and not always changing. Of course thats all relative and if your pH is off the scale then that might be out of the question.

HTH :good:

Its a 10 gallon that has the blue ram, pineapple swordtail, and 3 danios. The ph now is more like 7.6 maybe now.

Blue Rmas do better in pairs, swordtails and danios prefer to be in groups - if you keep your pH stable at 7.6 then your fish should be fine.

Blue Rmas do better in pairs, swordtails and danios prefer to be in groups - if you keep your pH stable at 7.6 then your fish should be fine.

The only thing is that the pet store has it at 7.0 and putting that much of a difference in there could kill it. Yeah this is just to keep them until I get the big tank.

If you really wanted to you could drip acclimatize them to make sure they don't get a shock going into your tank.

If you really wanted to you could drip acclimatize them to make sure they don't get a shock going into your tank.

Ok. I looked around the web and it says to have no higher than 6.5 ph. This is why I don't like the web. There is no real deff. answer?

Well 6.5 is the optimum pH for it but I'm sure it will be perfectly happy at a stable pH of 7.6

Most fish except very sensitive ones can live happily between 6.5-8 PH. Rams, swords, and dainos are all very hardy in my opinion. My PH is 7.6 as well, I have kept all those fish before and never had a problem with any of them :) . What is the Ph of your tap water? As previously said it is more important for the PH to remain stable then to have the ideal PH number. Also a transition from 7 to 7.6 shouldn't be a big deal, I would do it in about 30min-45min. I have moved some swords from 6-7.6, by just adding small amount of water to the bag over a couple hours.

Most reactions

Back