PH to high

MamaPish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yes....me again,

My tank is doing much better....I have 0 ammonia, nitrate is 0 nitrite is down from 10.0 to 3.0.......but my PH is at 7.6...and that is the highest this test will read, I have used the PH down 2 times over 4 days, and no change.

When I had high ammonia and dangerous nitrite levels my PH was @7.0-7.2
my nitrate has always been around 0-20.

How do I get my PH regulated?

I have 3 small angels and 5 cory cats in a 55gal tank...all in healthy condition.
I did lose 3 angles when the nitrite was so high.
I keep the temp @81 degrees
and I have 1tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gals.

I plan on adding 6-8 half dollar-silverdollar size angels Monday.....they are in a tank with a PH of 7.2

How do I get my PH down?
and will this harm the new addition of angels in any way.

Many thanks to all of your expertise!
Trish

Hi,

Your ph is high for the fish you described keeping and my best advice to you is to attack it from the water hardness angle.

If you have not tested your water for hardness, I suggest you do so.

Your water is most likely very hard with a PH that high. You can lower your hardness by purchasing a water softening pillow that you can put in your filter.

I would reccommend you do this VERY SLOWLY.

Quick changes in PH and hardness are more traumatic and dangerous for fish than an undesirable ph or hardness.

I would suggest putting the pillow in for 2 hrs and then taking it out, wait another 6 hrs or so and put it back for a few hours.

You should be monitoring the hardness and PH after each interval.

Once your hardness is reduced, you PH may go down naturally, if not you can try the PH down product again and it will probably work.

Water with high PH and DH is less stable than lower level water and it is a more stable environment overall for the fish once you get it to a good level.

The fish you described would do ok with 7.0 and would really thrive at 6.5 ..see if you can get the hardness down between 5 and 3 degrees.

I think if the angels you are buying are already in 7.2 water you should get get the water in your own aquarium to 7.2, add them and try to bring it down to 7.0 at the very least.

Tank raised angels are much more tolerant of upper ph ranges but in terms of growth and spawning.. 7.6 is too high.

Also, when you get your water softer and more acidic you will probably get your cory cats in a romantic mood as well..

You can also try a blackwater extract or "instant amazon" product this will create a water quality most like the one they experience in the wild.

A peat pad for the filter is also a good idea..but get the hardness down and your PH will be easier to control.

One last thing, assuming you have a new tank I would add the angels in groups of three rather than 6 or 8 because you put less stress on the newly established cycle.

Aquatrippe

one last thing..

When introducing new fish make sure that after floating the bag for 15-20 minutes you start adding a little water from the tank so the new fish can adjust to different ph values before releasing in the tank.

When I get new neons I take an hour to do this..cuts down on mortality quite a bit.

I'd also recommend checking the TAP water straight from the faucet.

Our's has a pH of 8. It is hard to keep the pH lower if one adds this water to the tank in partial water changes.

I also noticed that I had to do MANY applications of "pH down". It was supposed to lower my pH by 0.2 per application.

The first six or seven applications did almost nothing. Then, I began to get about a 0.2-4 change with each addition. I finally got it to 7 and the fish are fine.

Strange to say, but our hardness MEASURES on the low side (I suspect that it's hard given the quick accumulation of scale in our shower, however). This was both GH and KH...

wherryj said:
I also noticed that I had to do MANY applications of "pH down". It was supposed to lower my pH by 0.2 per application.

The first six or seven applications did almost nothing. Then, I began to get about a 0.2-4 change with each addition. I finally got it to 7 and the fish are fine.

Strange to say, but our hardness MEASURES on the low side (I suspect that it's hard given the quick accumulation of scale in our shower, however). This was both GH and KH...
arent catfish scaless if they are that salt will kill them at least that is what everyone on this forum has told me.I know baking soda is supposed to do something for the ph I dont know if it to raise the ph or lower it I cant remeber which one of you guys told me that mabey if they read this they will let you know which one it does.

Baking soda will raise the ph. I know it's popular to use for chiclid tanks.
-Josh

I used distilled water ( a couple of gallons with a water change) and it lowered my ph quite a bit

Most reactions

Back