Ph - How Low Too Low For Guppies?

lotsabob

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

first post here, I'm just three weeks in to fishkeeping.

I inherited a 10 gallon tank of guppies (20 adults, plus babies), and the fish seem to have done well since the move. I managed to retain a lot of their water as we moved them from the home where they were no longer welcome. The tank and water was quite dirty, and there had definitely been over-feeding. I didn't test the water on arrival, but we did remove the water from the bottom and took the opportunity of moving them, to wash the substrate.

Anyway, I appreciate that they are overcrowded, and two LFS's have said they'll take some adults when they've settled from the move (provided my ph is compatible at that point). Please bear in mind I've just taken them on.

First the small catalogue of fatalities... One got sick and died that week - very bloated, male, wouldn't eat, breathing became very laboured. I put him out of his misery after a while because he seemed really very distressed at that point. One female died after (I think) giving birth. And this week a small male passed away after two weeks of often being very still, lying on the substrate often. For the first week or so, he got lively around feeding time, but I noticed he wasn't eating anything. Eventually he didn't even chase the food, and started to lie on his side. His breathing didn't get laboured.

Anyway, my concern is that having tested the water now, it is very acidic - 5.5 (possibly a touch lower). My tap water is testing neutral. I do have plants in there. Other readings:

Amonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.3
Nitrate - 10

How low is too low for guppies? I know they prefer slightly alkaline water, and I will be starting that process tomorrow, but its not a quick one from 5.5! I have one female in particular (not very pregnant) exhibiting the same behaviour as the young male who died. No bloating, no laboured breathing. Sometimes resting at the bottom but more often up higher, sitting in the plants. She's not interested at feeding time. She's swimming from time to time, but mainly when prompted by being in a tankmate's way. I don't know what else may be to blame. I've added some slate, thoroughly scrubbed and boiled (though I've since read on here not to boil, just rince in boiling water). One rock fell during one night. I had thought it was secure, but apparently not. I wondered whether this may have caused her understandable stress, or whether PH is more likely a factor? No spots, change of colour, anything unusual looking, its outwardly only behavioural.

Anyway, sorry to drone on, just trying to give as much information as I can. I guess I'm asking are my guppies likely to pop their clogs or deteriorate one by one before I can raise it sufficiently over a sensible period of time? :-(

I also have a gorgeous sterbai cory in there (yes, the previous keepers only had the one - he does seem very chirpy though, and doesn't hide much, though there are plenty of hiding places), and a pleco (lots of barbels, brute-looking, came with the rest of them and the LFS said its one which doesn't grow much larger than it currently is.)

Nice to meet you all.

Guppies are resilient fish, so unless the ph changed suddenly to the low level they shouldn't be dying from it. I agree though, that is very low, so you should try and raise it slowly to at least 6-6.5.

I think you may have had an ammonia spike, because you have a low level of nitrite. How was the filter/filter media given to you? In water? Dry?

My guess is that you had a cycle and that is what killed those fish. Once you get the Ph back to normal the tank should thrive, as you seem to be in the final part of the cycle.

Guppies are resilient fish, so unless the ph changed suddenly to the low level they shouldn't be dying from it. I agree though, that is very low, so you should try and raise it slowly to at least 6-6.5.

I think you may have had an ammonia spike, because you have a low level of nitrite. How was the filter/filter media given to you? In water? Dry?

My guess is that you had a cycle and that is what killed those fish. Once you get the Ph back to normal the tank should thrive, as you seem to be in the final part of the cycle.

Thank you - that sounds optimistic. We had the filter out of water for maybe 15/20 minutes, then straight back in to a bucket of the tank water while we were setting up.

Appreciate your response. I'll be working on getting that ph up.

Most reactions

Back