ph has dropped

nikki_allen99

Reaction score
I tested my ph this morning and it has dropped to about 6.2 i did a 25 % water change yesterday. My tap water reading is about 7.2. I was wondering about the snails I have, could they be the cause of the lower ph? I bought some plants a few months back and low and behold I'm over run with every kind of snail :crazy: . Funny cause the snail I bought died after a month :sad: . I just don't know why the ph would be dropping and wonder about the snails...any suggestions?

its not the snails but check your nitrates because if they are high they will decrease your pH.

With a drop like that, I'd test the KH--carbonate hardness--it's what keeps the pH steady.
Several things can bring it up...certain rocks, shells, baking soda...crushed coral in the filter works for me. ;)

My plants are Anacharis and a few Foxtail. I don't really know much about plants and those said easy to grow on ebay so I ordered them. I don't have a nitrates test kit because when I tried to buy one the guy at the LFS said not to but I will buy one tonight. Also, my male fantail guppy was a red color and the color seems to have faded any reason why?

If your going to use chemicals to change yoour ph and you are not comfortable with terms like GH (general Hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) and how they affect the PH in the tank then be careful because you can cause more harm than good and create a chemically unstable environment for your fish that may cause extra stress and the results of that stress.

Most reactions

Back