Ph for Bettas?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StingrayKid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
What is the preferred Ph for a Betta? I heard it was Neutral and I tried to get it to there (around 7.0) I added the Sodium Biophosphate(Ph Down) and the Ph remains at a basic level of 7.5, and I've tried it many times. The tank is a 2.5 gallon and I think it should have gone down by now... :huh:

i've read that for bettas the pH range is 6.0 - 8.0, of course most fish perfer a neutal pH of 7. Its been my experience that its better just to leave the pH (unless its outside of this range) as a change in pH from say 7.0 to 8.0 makes the water 10x more basic - which is a pretty big jump.
hope im right about this :look: feel free to correct me if i've misinterpreted some info.

Right, I just wanted it to be Neutralm because I heard they are more comfortable in the Neutral range. Thanks for the help! :)

EDIT: The Ph down kicked in so it is at a 7.2 so, I'm all set.

bettas are found in soft water in nature but they really dont care ime.
i am lucky that my tap water is about 6.5 :D but i work at petsmart and our water is 8.4. bettas do fine there.

i dont recommend using unnatural ph adjusting products.
im all for things like peat or crushed coral to lower or raise the ph but i know many people that have killed their fish with things like ph up or down.

Most reactions

Back