Ph And Kribensis

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
The pH in my tank is 8.3-8.4. Is this too high for these fish? If so, I will add a small piece of mopani wood in hopes to "naturally" lower the pH.

-FHM

The pH in my tank is 8.3-8.4. Is this too high for these fish? If so, I will add a small piece of mopani wood in hopes to "naturally" lower the pH.

-FHM

hi, your kribs should be fine, i use coral sand as a substrate in my krib fry tank (it highers the PH) and they thrieve

-FHM

I have close to the same water as you in waukesha. the wood wont lower it anymore than .1 you will need to mix in ro water to get it down

-FHM

hi, your kribs should be fine, i use coral sand as a substrate in my krib fry tank (it highers the PH) and they thrive

Great, do you know what your pH is, just so I have an idea?

The only thing is; I don't want the pH to keep rising, or fluctuate. I don't mind where it is at right now, as long as it is okay, just as long as it just stays where it is.

Thanks again!

Any more input! Just want to get as much feedback and as many views as I can on this topic! I drove nearly 2 hours for these fish and would hate to see them go!

-FHM

My tanks PH is around 8 yours should be fine, you've nothing to worry about :)
Okay thanks!

As you can see I am a little worried about this...lol.

I will check the pH here through out the week and see if it changes. I really hope it does not go up any higher than where it is right now.

Thanks again!

-FHM

My tanks PH is around 8 yours should be fine, you've nothing to worry about :)
Okay thanks!

As you can see I am a little worried about this...lol.

I will check the pH here through out the week and see if it changes. I really hope it does not go up any higher than where it is right now.

Thanks again!

-FHM

no problem ;) glad to help you!

In case you decide to breed the kribs, be prepared for most of the offspring being female with that pH. :)

Yup, I have read that the sexes are skewed when the pH strays away from a neutral pH.

Thanks guys! I just don't know why the pH would rise this high in less than 12 hours? Any ideas?

-FHM

In your other thread you say your rocks are probably limestone. The calcium carbonate in it will slowly dissolve in the water until the pH is somewhere around 8.3, but it won't raise the pH above that under ambient levels of CO2. This can happen pretty fast, although biofilms that build up on the rock will slow the process down over time (malawi tank keepers here in softwater-land regard this as a problem).

Although... what's the carbonate hardness (or alkalinity) of your tap water? It's possible that it only comes out of the tap at pH 7.4 due to CO2, as you suggested yourself, which degasses out of the tank pretty fast. Or -- and this is pure speculation -- maybe they use additives to lower the pH of the tap water, and these additives decompose/evaporate in the tank? I have no idea what compounds the water companies use to adjust the pH.

Yeah, I am not 100% sure that the rocks I have are limestone, they look like it though. I did the vinegar test and they passed(no fizzing).

Right now I have a bucket of tap water sitting, and a bucket of tap water with one of those rocks in it. I will test the pH tomorrow in both and see if the two vary. If the pH is higher in the bucket with the rock, then that will be the problem. We will see tomorrow I guess if the rocks are a problem. Which would be a shame because they look really nice!

I do not have a GH/KH test, so I do not know the hardness of the tap water here.

-FHM

I just checked the pH again, and it is now at 8.0? :blink:

Will medication change the pH at all? Because I dosed some Parasite Clear made by Jungle? As far as I know of, this medication will not alter the pH in any way?

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

-FHM

Sorry for all the posts.

pH in tank - 8.0

After about 16 hours or so:

pH in container #1 (Nothing but tap water) - 7.4

pH in container #2 (Tap water + rock) - 8.0

So, the rocks are raising the pH. I what should I do when I do water changes? Just let the bucket of water stand over night when A rock in it to raise the pH?

Thanks for all the input so far guys!

-FHM

Okay, one last post, sorry for all the posts!

I have came to the conclusion that the pH increase is NOT caused by the rocks:. Instead, it is caused by the Co2 gas off.

Proof:

Tank pH = 8.0
pH in container # 1 (nothing but tap water) = 8.4
pH in container # 2 (Tap water + rock) = 8.4

From the above results, the increase of pH is caused by the gassing off of Co2.

The reason why the pH is higher in the containers compared to the tank is because there is no aerator in the containers. With an aerator, the Co2 within in the tank stays at about an average of 8 ppm.

Also, the reason why the pH in container #1 was lower than the pH in container #2 in my previous post was because container #1 has a smaller opening (Water bottle) while container #2 is a bucket. With more surface area of water exposed to the atmosphere, container #2 was allowed to gas of the Co2 much quicker than container #1.

In conclusion, I am going to allow the water sit for about 12 hours before doing a water change.

Thanks

-FHM

Most reactions

Back