Ph >8.8?

crumpybumpy

Reaction score
Help! Just started a 10 gallon tank 2 weeks ago. Aqueon filter (cartridge system--physical/chemical/biological filter). No heater b/c it is for an oranda; temp is 72 degrees

Initial API master tests 2 days after set up with no fish: pH 7.8; Ammonia 1.5 ppm neg Nitrite. I am using this tank for 1 "Goblin" oranda. I took water to fish store--they agreed pH was high and recommended I get it down to 7.2-7.4 so they sold me Seachem Acid Buffer. So I gradually added it over 2 days and got the pH to about 7.4. He said I could also use Poland Spring water instead but I didn't.

Then we added the Oranda around day 5 of setting up the tank.

He has bee eating well but has become more and more lethargic....just sitting at the bottom of the tank, but will come up to eat when we open the top. The Nitrite went progressively higher in the 5 ppm range so I would do 1-2 gallon water changes every day to every other day. Today I did a 3 gallon (30%) water change because the Nitrite was >5 ppm. I was remiss in not testing the pH until now---at 14 days from set up, after the water change on the high pH it was DARK purple...ie >8.8?!?!

The Nitrite went down maybe to the 2 ppm after the 30% water change--it is really difficult to tell the collor difference between 2 and 5 in my opinion--it does look less purple.

What is going on here??? Why is teh pH so high?

What should I do??

Don't add anything to your water to alter the pH in the future. It causes a lot more trouble than it solves.

More of immediate concern is your nitrite. Even 0.25ppm is poisonous and you should nevertheless it get above this. A massive water change is in order, perhaps several. You NEED to get that nitrite down. A water change will also help to bring your pH down to a more reasonable level.

Don't add anything to your water to alter the pH in the future. It causes a lot more trouble than it solves.

Yes I read this after doing that pH change. Oh well. I guess I'll keep doing water changes then.

P.S. here is a pic of said goblin oranda in typical lethargic mode at bottom of tank....when I search on google for goblin oranda I don't see aything about them

Attachments

• 2012-03-18_11-11-00c.jpeg
    2012-03-18_11-11-00c.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 39
Looks like he might have a case of Ich, based on all those little white spots on his tail, unless that is some artifact of the photo or something on the glass.

Looks like he might have a case of Ich, based on all those little white spots on his tail, unless that is some artifact of the photo or something on the glass.
Agreed, that does look like ich.

The fish will need treating for that, as well as the water changes.

Agreed, that does look like ich.

The fish will need treating for that, as well as the water changes.

Yes those white spots are real. At first I thought they were white spots the orandas get when breeding but then I read they only occur on their wen? What ich treatment would you recommend?

I thought ich too, but didn't say in case it was just poor picture quality while viewing on my phone, but now I'm on my PC it definitely looks like ich.
I used King British White Spot Control when my fish had ich, but any treatment from a reputable brand should do the trick.

It's worth bearing in mind that the presence of the ammonia and nitrite in the water will likely have caused the ich as if it doesn't kill the fish it'll greatly impact on their immune systems and their ability to fight off disease. Have you read up on cycling? There's no way you should be letting your readings get anywhere near as high as they are.

Ok I did a 6.5 gallon water change just now (3 gallons poland spring pH 6.6 and 3.5 gallons tap water pH 8.2) in addition to the 3 gallon water change from this morning:

pH 7.2
Nitrite 0.25

I bought kordon Ich Attack because I have snails in this tank and the fish store guy said it will spare snails.

Instructions are: remove carbon from filter and add 5 mL for 10 gallons. Repeat dosage daily or twice daily. May take up to 5 weeks to cure ich.

So what about this removing carbon from the filter?? For how long? I have an aqueon filter that is a mesh cartridge with the carbon inside of it. Do I temporarily take that out and if so for how long??

The carbon will filter the medication out, so keep it out for the duration of the treatment, which should be about five days not five weeks. If you can heat the water a bit (I know Goldfish, you probably don't have a heater) it would speed up the treatment. Also, treat once per day, and do at least a 20% water change between treatments.

Most reactions

Back