Ph 6.0?

Electric Warrior

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi. So in my established 200L tank, my PH has been at about 6.6 since setting up, but I recently re-scaped my tank and added a very large piece of bogwood. Since doing this PH changed to about 6.4, and stayed that way for several weeks, but when I checked last night after my weekly wc, it was 6.0 on the API liquid test. Is this normal when using a very large piece of wood in a tank, to change that much? A PH value of 6.0 is fine for the fish I keep, and none of them show any signs of anything unusual, so should I just not worry about it? My slight concern is that it could drop even lower, but I have no way or telling since the test only goes down to 6.0. My KH/GH has a pretty low value also. Are there any PH tests that can read below 6?

It isn't uncommon for a piece of bogwood to change the pH in a tank. The amount of change in pH depends on the size of bog wood versus the size of the tank. I have three small pieces (under 2 lbs each) in my 30 gal tank. They change the pH from 8.2 to 8.0 (I'm on a well so the pH can't be helped).

There are many indicators that can read a pH of 6 and lower, however they may require special purchase, test kits like the API kit you have use a universal indicator, and a poor one at that because it doesn't read below 6 or above 8.5 or so. (No single indicator reads that range that I'm aware of, so I assume it's a mixture of various indicator substances)
If you wanted to test it to make sure it doesn't get too acidic you would need to purchase a specific indicator from a chemist.

If you are worried and want to raise the pH but don't want to take out the bog wood I would recommend adding aquarium gravel, which will raise the pH, or add a few golf ball sized Limestone rocks. (You can get Limestone from a pet shop or even from your yard)

But if the fish appear alright than I wouldn't worry about it. :)

If you are worried and want to raise the pH but don't want to take out the bog wood I would recommend adding aquarium gravel, which will raise the pH, or add a few golf ball sized Limestone rocks. (You can get Limestone from a pet shop or even from your yard)

But if the fish appear alright than I wouldn't worry about it.
smile.png

Specifically coral gravel will raise your pH, not just any old gravel.

I agree that if the fish appear to be fine, leave well alone. Many, many more fish die because their owners think they're doing the right thing by tinkering with the pH than by leaving them in a tank of the "wrong" pH. Most fish will adapt.

But if the fish appear alright than I wouldn't worry about it.
C:\Users\Parent\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif
I agree that if the fish appear to be fine, leave well alone. Many, many more fish die because their owners think they're doing the right thing by tinkering with the pH than by leaving them in a tank of the "wrong" PH. Most fish will adapt.

Indeed.
Most fish are nowhere near as sensitive to PH levels, as their profiles might suggest.

The quotes above are the best advice for this situation!
Especially when you consider that water is very good at buffering itself.

Yeah, I just double checked it today and last night, and it's at 6.2 - basically inbetween the 6.4-6.0 on the API test; ever so slightly greenish. The other night it was straight up yellow/6.0. I even double checked it twice just to be sure. The only thing I did that day was a 20% wc and added some new egeria densa, but I don't see how plants would affect it? Anyways, yeah I am not going to change anything.

I've got a 320 l tank with loads of wood in it and the pH is 6 too, but the 30l tank I have with loads of new wood in it has gone down to 5-5.5. This is ok for the fish I have but shocked me a little too! Water here is so soft anyway! My test kit is a nutrafin mini master kit.. Seems to read down to 4..

Most reactions

Back