Pewwww....water stinks!

Well I know when I had a saltwater tank and would clean the algae out...it would smell disgusting. Algae can stink big time...but I don't know that freshwater greenwater would make your water smell that bad...mine didn't stink. I suppose its possible.

High nitrates will cause algae blooms but I don't know why you'd have one all of a sudden after a year and a half without any other problems before. I think your lights are on way too long if you're not keeping plants and that is probably adding to an algae problem big time.

If you have well water maybe there really is something in your water? Maybe you could put some in a bucket and let it sit for a couple days and see if its cloudy. Or better yet keep it in a bucket for about a week if you can put an airstone or something in it to keep it circulating and keeping it from getting stagnant.

Well, my dog/cat/horse water doesn't get cloudy, so I'm not sure.

I did a 50% w/c today, and have the light back on. Faint smell, water's not cloudy....I'll keep doing w/c as long as it takes I guess. But I won't keep the light on as long as I have been....

Whatever was/is going on, the fish have not acted stressed in any way over it....so that's a good thing!

Is 10 hours still too long for the light ya think?
Thank you!

i leave mine on for about 10 hours total, and it's a planted tank

i am having severe algea issue but the addition on co2 seems to be helping that right now...

Most reactions

Back