Pets At Home

pets@home in Hull needs shutting down and the staff re trained in how not be a thick b*s***d!!!

Just my honest opnion

Ooh I'm from Hull. =)

Which shop are you speaking of, Stoneferry or St Andrews?

don't think they mean stoneferry, they have improved loads now. used to be rubbish, but now they are very good. :good:

Certianly am talking about stoneferry one, a year i ago made loads of camplaints about thier tanks, and also staff who are dumbass's not been in for a long time though so dont know if my complaints helped.

and also staff who are dumbass's

The staff are only as good/knowledgeable as the training that is given to them.
So your referral to them as being dumb-ass may be a slant on their personality.
I don't know if they are moved around from section to section but if you are a staff member of an establishment like P@H then I would
expect you to go and learn a little more about your charges for by what the company policy and level of training maybe, if this is the line of work you wish to pursue.
I had heard that they were putting all their staff through basic OATA training modules which would be more than the average joe would have.

BigC

they should be making an effort to train themselves aswell.
an hours reading at night would give them the basics they need but it seems alot of them cant be bothered to eduacate themselves. not just pets at home though is it.

an hours reading at night would give them the basics they need but it seems alot of them cant be bothered to eduacate themselves

This is probably closer to the truth...

BigC

well, i suppose that when i go to the stoneferry one, i ignore their advise, and only buy the equipment and only truly aquatic plants. i think that they're fine now, as long as you stick your fingers in your ears and hum when they are giving you advise lol. i haven't bought fish off them for years now, as they never looked any good, and quite a lot died, and they still always have quite a few dead/dyeing ones. but most of the fish look healthy.

cheers :good:

an hours reading at night would give them the basics they need but it seems alot of them cant be bothered to eduacate themselves. not just pets at home though is it.

It's a nobel sentiment, but I don't think you can expect people to do this. Many jobs require you to undergo personal development, but that's company led.

For every aquatic enthusiast employed there may be another that just needed a job. If you're not getting paid for that "hours reading at night" then it may not be worth it to them. I can't think of many jobs I've had, where I've felt compelled to read around the business. Sometimes a job is just a job.

The people on the shop floor are not going to be paid a fortune and there's only so much effort someone is going to put in for limited renumeration.

For every aquatic enthusiast employed there may be another that just needed a job. If you're not getting paid for that "hours reading at night" then it may not be worth it to them. I can't think of many jobs I've had, where I've felt compelled to read around the business. Sometimes a job is just a job.

The people on the shop floor are not going to be paid a fortune and there's only so much effort someone is going to put in for limited renumeration.

Sadly that is the reality of the thing,
but if you care about fish and fish husbandry then the onus would be on that individual to learn more.
Interviewing techniques would tell the interviewer wither the candidate has flair for the job or not.

BigC

I think the level of wages paid predicts the type of people applying for jobs, people with relevent training and diplomas would probably for a higher level of pay to reflect their hard work. Therefore anyone sounding interested who will work for less money probably gets given the job. di

I've had 7 fish from p@h in total. Only one goldfish has survived. The guppies I got wiped out the majority of my stock. Probably my fault as I didn't check them as well as I should have and didn't have a quarantine tank at the time. They were very good about taking the fish back and gave me compensation. I think their small furries are all good at my local one but I'm not sure I'd buy fish from them again. Their hardware is all good and they have quite a large range of stuff but livestock not so good. I agree with other posters about the varying quality of the staff. I've had some there who are really knowledgable and some appear not so. For example I went in there for a heater the other day and saw a man buying fish. The girl serving him dropped the fish on the floor then continued to ask him if he still wanted to buy that fish. He didn't look too impressed with her to say the least...

I have been to large fish holding warehouse establishments (importers/breeders) Vast meccas with every type of tropical fish imaginable which are eventually distributed to shops such as P@H and smaller outlets. If you were to walk down isles and isles of tanks and have fish jumping out of tanks willy nilly, then, setting the staff issues aside you would swiftly realize that the problem may not solely lie with P@H but rather their actual supply chain. There is more death in these places that would make P@{H look like a pristine palace, believe me.
ATB
C

I have 2 P@H local to me.
One is exeptional with knowledge, and the other couldnt care less.

But ultimatley its up to the buyer to have the knowledge of what fish hey are going to keep, and is it suitable.

Both, however have an excellent fish stock. Never had any problems with there fish. But i now buy all my Livestock online. I only ever go in there for supplies.

I do have a regular nosey at the stock, and tanks are disease free. :good:

I have 2 P@H local to me.
One is exeptional with knowledge, and the other couldnt care less.

But ultimatley its up to the buyer to have the knowledge of what fish hey are going to keep, and is it suitable.

Both, however have an excellent fish stock. Never had any problems with there fish. But i now buy all my Livestock online. I only ever go in there for supplies.

I do have a regular nosey at the stock, and tanks are disease free. :good:

Which online retailers do you use? Can you always guarantee quality? Many fish I want I only see online, but I never know if it's a good thing to do

Various. But the ones i do use, i have read/heard good reviews on.
I dont know if this forum allowsa advertising, so i will PM you the websites.
touch wood, all the stock i have ordered has arrived safely without any deaths. But with this method, i always qaurintine my fish for 2 weeks atleast. Just incase.

i agree. even when i knew nothing about fish keeping, i had loads of books and regularly looked up many species, so that when i went into the shop, i could name and knew how to look after almost all of them. so i never really had any problems with fish compatibility/size. people really need to do their research before they rush in and buy 10 common goldfish for a 2gal tank. :crazy:

cheers :good:

Most reactions

Back