Pets At Home Tanks

antonbhoy

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just got hold of a PAH starter tank, but there was a label held on inside it with some sort of sticky tape. Tried to clean it of with warm water but its not really budging. Also noticed small bits of sticky residue around the tank. What should I use to clean them off?
Anthony

Whats a Pets at home starter tank? Cause I kinda expect it to be like 15 litres with no heater or something >.>

As for your question, a very sharp blade to take it off.

btw pets at home starter tanks if im correct contain no heater no filter no lights they are made out of plastic and are 15 litres in the nicest way possible you cant keep fish in that but i may be wrong btw goldfish need around 100 liters for 1 fish and 50 for each additional fish​

Is it a glass tank or acrylic?

White vinegar should get it off. I would just set the tank on its side and place a rag or a paper towel which has been soaked in be what and set it on the stubborn spot. Then set something on the towel so that it stays in place and so that as much surface area is touching the tank as possible. After a few hours it should come up.

Is it glass or plastic?

Done a Google search, and found using surgical spirit works too, but some folk have used wd40. Is that not dangerous for fish?

Cool, glass is good; you can be a lot more aggressive that you could with acrylic :)

If the vinegar doesn't work (do try it first, as it's much more easily rinsed off than the more 'chemical' types of cleaner), you can try acetone (nail varnish remover) or lighter fluid, or surgical spirit; I'm not sure about WD40, but if all else fails, you could give it a go.

All these more aggressive type substances are liable to leave residues, so you will have to scrub and do numerous rinses to make the tank safe.

I'd be inclined to take the tank back and complain, tbh.

Hi, Vinager should do it. I wouldnt use WD40 that stuff is poison. There are tools you can also use for removing algea they are scrapers that are flat but sharp. Give it a go. Also be carefull not to scratch even glass can and you'll end up with little nicks and lines. gl!

Thanks for the advice folks. Used some white vinegar today, and that done the trick. Washed the tank out a couple of times with warm water, and I'll wash it out again tomorrow.
Oh, I did speak to peers at home and they said, "yes we have one of those tanks in the office, and we used a sponge". No answer to why they do it.
Anthony

Glad to know you got it all off. You can just rinse with some warm water now and you should be fine. Vinegar doesn't stay in sealant or anything so you don't have to be as thorough as you would if you used bleach or something.

Most reactions

Back